Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bad Language in novels/short stories

2»

Comments

• I'm late joining this conversation, but thought that as a writer who uses quite a lot of swearing I would add my little bit. When I published my first novel I was a bit wary about how it would be received by folk who had known me over the years - I had just retired after a long time as a Methodist minister. So here's a snip from a sort of disclaimer which I wrote in my blog at the time:

"I hope that folk will not be too upset at the thought of a former minister portraying such characters. It isn't meant to shock, only to tell the story. And I would hope that these two characters, or their counterparts in real life, if they were to turn up at your church on a Sunday morning, would be treated with the same dignity and friendliness that they receive from Martin in my novel."

• That's why it's very powerful when used in the correct context.
    I wouldn't use it because it is a derogatory term for a woman's body. If you're turning part of a woman's body into a slur to insult someone, the implication is that cunts are disgusting, something that a person wouldn't want to be. That denigrates all women.

There are contexts when a character may not use this word to insult another person, but rather to compliment them.

• You can't drop the 'c' bomb at People's Friend!
    I can just imagine the 'farmer' dropping it to his 'wife' in the same sentence that he asks for dinner!!

• I hate the "C" word but occasionally use it. When I do use it it is when I am absolutely livid about something. It's a horrible word but sometimes it is apt when referring to someone.
  • I don't understand why people think it's such a bad word compared to other expletives. We use words associated with male genitalia to denote stupidity, what's the difference? Maybe it's the intent not the word as the 'c' word is often used to deliberately to offend.
  • Sure, the word itself is on equal footing of the male genitalia of which you refer. It is more likely community standards that have elevated the 'word' to the status of the reprehensible. It is only due to the 'softening' of those 'perceived' standards that we now more accepted use of the word in literature and film.

And you are right, GS, in saying that it is the application of the word in a demeaning context that is regarded as the most offensive of the offensive.