Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Synopsis Flopsis

edited February 2017 in Writing
What a bleedin' day. For those who have had to etch out a synopsis, I think only you can sympathise with my situation. I am allotted 500 to 1,000 words for the 2017 CWA Debut Dagger Award. I have no problem waffling on; that's how I find it easy to flesh out novels. It's the 'unwaffling' I have a problem with - as we all do, paring down my 105,000 to a minor precis.

I've got the bare bones done, and have given it a 'once over'. Now I'm up to the tried and trusted 'leave-it-for-the-night-and-look-at-it-tomorrow routine. I have two threads of back story running through this one, so it becomes increasingly difficult to slash out the irrelevant. WTF? If it was 'irrelevant' it wouldn't be there in the first place!!

So, I am not really seeking advice, for unless someone has read the MS, none can be offered. I just didn't want to dilute the importance of my work to the 'Rant Thread' where it will be lost among the Jaffa Cakes; swearing; focal lenses; frogs; snails; robots; and the soon to be popular: Hot Cross Buns!!

Comments

• Oh, the dreaded synopsis!

I think everyone finds them difficult. Just imagine that you're drowning and before you go under you have to pass on the crux of your novel so that it may live on! Ok, maybe that's a bit too dramatic... but create a similar scenario where time limits what you can say.

I do think it's important to retain your voice in the synopsis to give a flavour of your writing style, and try to give the main plot centre stage, even though there are lots of sub-plots ducking and diving in the background. Can you reduce them to a nutshell sentence or two?

I'm sure you'll have done a great job, PET. Looking at it with fresh eyes is a good idea. There's always lots of advice online about writing them. Maybe you can pick up a few tips.

Good luck!!! %%-
  • Imagine you're telling my OH what your book is about. Where stories are concerned he has a two minute attention span.
    Alternatively, reduce your novel to a piece of flash fiction!
  • Nup, I couldn't get near you in the Flash Fiction stakes.
  • Thank you, but you don't know till you try. I too have written novels . One can do both ☺
  • I have no problem waffling on; that's how I find it easy to flesh out novels.

I hope it's meaningful waffle, PET, and not just padding.

• I was once told it's like broad brushstrokes...
  • Interesting analogy, Carol. My conundrum is though, the soft blur of pastel water colour, or the heavy hand of viscous oil?

No rush, nearly finished. In fine-tuning mode now.
  • Got the impression it was somewhere between the two. :)
  • Finished and sent. Thanks to all for your help and encouragement.
  • Best of luck!
  • Good luck, PET!
  • Try choosing twenty to thirty words per chapter, then summarize what you think are the best points in each chapter, add them all together until you see the full outline of your story. Read them aloud and see if you have captured the spirit of your novel. Good Luck.