JK ROWLING

edited October 6 in Writing
I read an article today where she was showing the rejection letters she received after deciding to write crime books under the Galbraith pseudonym- there's hope for us all!

Comments

• I can't feel all that optimistic to learn that good quality writing was rejected multiple times, apparently just because the author's name wasn't known.
  • Are the letter and synopsis available to read? I'd be interested to know what she submitted. Perhaps they were a tad bland - she hasn't had to draft either for some time?
  • Well, my comment on here disappeared during down time...

I said something like:

I don't think it's surprising because editors get thousands of manuscripts a week. Those are filtered through and maybe they will get 5. Maybe less, but they will be manuscripts which are brilliant, and maybe one a month to take further. That one will go through acquisitions, costing, and maybe not make it if the marketing don't think it will sell (remember, they are not editors, don't go on brilliance of penmanship, they just go on whether it's marketable at that minute). So, if your manuscript is not brilliant, then you have no chance. If it is brilliant, then a small chance, if the editor you have sent it to likes your style and it has that certain something which is indefinable.

Having already got a track record her stuff will be much easier to sell to the buying public so therefore she will have a huge advantage in the costing, marketing stages.

So it really is about luck, and keeping at sending it out, after all, all the stories you marvel at are about people who wrote something marvellous (to some!) which was rejected multiple times before being accepted. you have to send it out multiple times to be rejected multiple times.
  • Which is, of course, the only reason my books have been turned down!
  • It's just not fair that someone knocks up a few stories at her local coffee shop and makes millions.     
    I was told, as a child to "hitch my wagon to a star".     Was never quite sure how to do that but if you can figure it out perhaps there is hope for you as well. 
  • I read that Laurie Lee's "Cider With Rosie" was rejected 30 times.  Now it's a school classic text.  Don't give up hope just yet.
  • Hitch your wagon to a star has the same meaning in my mind as hitching on somone's coat tails, something I am really not wanting to do.
  • I had presumed it meant "aim high" but you may have something there. 

Rather like a lot of sayings.  I stitched part of my clothing in time but didn't save it totally disintegrating requiring far more than nine.  And I watch a pot today and it soon boiled.  Just turned up the gas.  Have you ever had a bird in the hand? I'd prefer to see two in the bushes any time.   (I'll stop there)