Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self-criticism of writing

Does anyone else suffer from being self-critical about their writing ability? My article writing is good enough that I get published a lot, but despite constantly trying to improve my writing quality and style I always feel it`s not as good as it should be.

Comments

• Regularly. Imposter syndrome strikes again.

We can always improve, but remind yourself, it's good enough to be published, now.
  • Sometimes think we overthink projects. Often because we have the time to do so. I think of journalists who have to write and submit copy on a daily basis and compare that to a novelist who may take months or even years on a project. They must have very different approaches. Leaving things aside for a day or so often helps see things like words being overused in a piece or too close together, and reading aloud helps spot awkward language, but eventually we have to call it a day and send work on its way. 
  • Wordy said:
    Sometimes think we overthink projects. Often because we have the time to do so. I think of journalists who have to write and submit copy on a daily basis and compare that to a novelist who may take months or even years on a project. They must have very different approaches. Leaving things aside for a day or so often helps see things like words being overused in a piece or too close together, and reading aloud helps spot awkward language, but eventually we have to call it a day and send work on its way. 

I try to leave my article for a couple of days after doing the main edit on paper because, like you say, a bit of distance from it helps to spot silly mistakes. If it`s published in a magazine that I get a copy of then I usually read the other articles in it to see if I can learn from the writing of others. But it`s definitely a bit of imposter syndrome in my case.
  • I wouldn’t say being self critical is a sufferance but is part of what being human means. Being creative is an experience and there’s no harm reflecting on the result of that experience.  Even if it has been accepted to a standard, in your case by the publisher, deciding it could be improved shouldn’t really be a reason to beat yourself up about.
  • It is good to strive for excellence and to be our best. But to judge against a standard of perfection is counterproductive, especially as the concept of perfection in a piece of writing is not measurable. By all means read through a published piece, consider where it could be improved, do that in the next piece if you can - that's what learning is. But don't treat that as a fault in the first piece.
    And if you did the same for other people's work I am sure you would also find much that could be improved!
  • dora said:
    I wouldn’t say being self critical is a sufferance but is part of what being human means. Being creative is an experience and there’s no harm reflecting on the result of that experience.  Even if it has been accepted to a standard, in your case by the publisher, deciding it could be improved shouldn’t really be a reason to beat yourself up about.
    Good point. Think I have a tendency to dwell on negative things too much. Many years ago I once had an editor comment on how she liked one of my articles, and I hope since then my writing has improved, so I should worry less.