Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are your writing qualifications?

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• What are your writing qualifications? Do you have a degree in creative writing? Or do you have no paper qualifications, but you've led an interesting life &/or have a vivid imagination? If you haven't studied creative writing, do you regret this? Or does study actually stunt the flow of ideas? Do you feel confident with spelling and grammar? And how about the structure etc of stories/novels? Have you acquired most of your knowledge by reading other people's books? Or are you afraid of plagiarising their work?

Got to go - the fish fingers are nearly ready, and the washing-machine has stopped.
  • No degree in writing, just years of experience, as it were, of being rejected over and over until I got it right. I don't feel study is right for me, study of history, yes, study of writing, no. I am confident of my ability, no one has complained so far, in my 20 children's books, 1 teen novel, 10 other novels, couple of hundred articles, 100 short stories ...

I read extensively, always have done, and certainly in the beginning there was a distinct tendency to write like Ray Bradbury (my hero) but my own 'voice' developed after a while and has remained.

Interesting question, Jay. Got to go, the gluten free bread is cooling and needs its chocolate spread before it turns into the consistency of cooked cardboard. It is not the nicest bread in the world ...
  • Same here Dorothy, I've never studied Creative Writing, but I spent four years studying with the OU literature courses.  I don't think you can beat looking at writing from a technical viewpoint.  I know before I had never considered a setting more than a place where things happen, after a question in an exam I realised the effect it had on a story and how it affects characters and plot.
  • I've just finished Fahrenheit 451 today, Dorothy. Excellent book, and he has a wonderful writing style too. I'll have to read some more of his work.

As for me, no writing qualifications, though I have completed an OU course. I wish i'd gone to University to study Literature but didn't so i'm having to do the best I can. I've got an Arvon course in October which i'm sure will help, but otherwise it's just been a matter of picking things up as I go along, both as a reader and writer.

Richard
  • No writing qualifications but was brought up in the days when teachers still used red pen to correct mistakes in spelling and grammar so I think it's not too bad apart from when to use a capital letter when writing words like mum and dad. I could do with improving the structure of my work but I'm hoping that will come with practice.
  • I originally trained as a journalist - in-house with a newspaper and on a course, so non-fiction writing comes easy to me, but I found that when I started writing fiction I had to learn a complete new set of rules and still find myself writing fiction as though I'm writing an article. I personally think the best way to learn the craft of writing is to read as much as you can and study other sucessful authors.
  • I was born in an era when qualifications were not that signicant. People tended to judge by results. I took my engieering degree fr my own saisfaction but by then the job I was doing was way above the level where anyone bothered abou such things. I would have loved to have gone to university. techniques can be taught, not creativity.  I wonder if Sheakespear was properly qualified to write
  • I've got a joint degree in Humanities and Literature but no formal writing qualifications, apart from experience. I did do a ten point writing course with OU once and would like to do the 60 pointer but I can't afford it at the moment.
  • Studied up to and passed A'level English, tried to get into journalism and failed. Went out into the world and forgot about the joys of writing until 1999. Been writing since.
    Personally I wouldn't want to do a Creative Writing course as I don't think it would suit me at the moment.
    I feel okay about spelling and grammar as I was taught the old way just before trendy ideas took over.
    You don't stop learning from anything.
    And they do say there are only so many plots, it's how you use them that's important.
  • Carol, you've just reminded me. I got O and A levels at English Lit as well.

Then again...it was sooooo long ago!
  • I have a degree in English language and literature but if I had my time over again, I would have chosen something else. It stifled my creativity and made me feel inadequate and I never want to read another 'classic' as long as I live.
  • Strictly speaking, I suppose I have none. I've got 'O' levels in English literature and language; another in Latin - and that helps with English grammar; and I attended several very good creative writing courses at my local Adult Education centre - where I found out I was using far too many exclamation marks, adverbs, and speech tags amongst other things. My spelling's reasonable, but the good thing is I usually know what I can't spell.

I didn't take up my place at university, and don't regret this. Maybe I should have taken different 'A' levels, though (I did French, Italian and history) - maths or German instead of history, and Spanish instead of Italian. Or perhaps I should have become a pharmacist - I practically live in our local chemist's as it is.

I've led a fairly uneventful life, and there's a mixture of imagination and making the most of what I do see/hear in my writing.

When I was young, I was always reading, and I also tried to write. At fourteen, I was onto Dostoyevsky and wrote a 300-page unfinished science fiction story. Like Flick, I hated analysing books.

I seem to be good at dialogue, but often fail to describe people and places. I'm not sure I know much about structure and plotting. I love playing with language.
  • Jay, I did the sci-fi thing too. Probably more a saga as it was set over 25 years, and it was a lot of pages which I never counted, and never kept sadly.
    My O'levels included English language and oral English at Grade B, and Eng Lit at Grade A, so I had a leaning towards words even then.
  • My main qualification for writing?  Extensive reading from a very young age, and an insatiable curiosity about almost everything except geography and cars. Formal qualifications would be Latin to O-level standard, English (as foreign language) to A-level. My BA is in Graphic Design, but I got my highest mark for the dissertation.
  • I'm starting my BA in Creative writing in September and I can't wait!! In the past three years or so, I've manged to pass a Start Writing Fiction course with the OU, Creative writing and Writing for performance courses at Teesside Uni, Shock,Horror! Gothic writing course at Lancaster Uni, a Creative writing course at Villiers Park, and a few other little things, all of which have enhanced my passion for writing...
  • No qualifications - maybe qualify for a degree in life (it has been full of good and bad) It has made me who I am. I'm dyslexic which drives me to prove my worth - still trying to prove that.

I guess I just have a head full of stories that need to come out and until I run dry I'll keep on doing it. Maybe oneday I'll achive my goal to become a children's author, until then - I'm keeping my fingers tapping on the keyboard and my mind alive with weird, wacky and wonderful creations.
  • No, in the oven. The gasman was due to come, so I confidently expected him to arrive while I was cooking. He didn't turn up.
    I'm pretty wary of washing-machines now, ever since I opened one and all the water came out and flooded the kitchen floor. (I'd turned off the machine at the mains, which allowed me to open the door.) Half-past ten on a Sunday night.
  • The rather stiff door on our previous washing machine suddenly became very easy to move. How pleasant it was to swing it backwards and forwards for a few minutes.

Until it fell off.
  • Oh Jay, what a mess.
    Our machine plays up when the filter gets blocked, and trying to clear that usually ends up with towels soaking up the momentary deluge as you quickly undo the unit, grab the junk and shove back into position- before the floor floods. (we need to do this when it refuses to drain the water, because it won't spin properly.)
  • Have never studied creative writing as a subject but got A grades in English Language & English Lit at O level, so took English as one of my A levels at school; I passed ok but hated it. Did a BSc degree in a different subject (psychology). Am tempted sometimes by the thought of studying creative writing as a subject though and am still unsure whether to do so or not.
  • Richard S, that's one hell of a book, isn't it? Scratch, you'll love it.  The story is ... that Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, The Pedestrian, and then one day took The Pedestrian for a walk and wrote Fahrenheit 451 in just 9 days.  I have all his books, my all time favourite is The Martian Chronicles but Dandelion Wine comes a close second, with Something Wicked This Way Comes in hot pursuit. I love all the short story collections, The October Country, R is for Rocket, S Is For Space, The Golden Apples of the Sun  and ever onward!
  • I have a degree and many years of fiction and non-fiction writing experience achieved mainly through trial and error-sending out work to everyone I could think of. I have also run writers workshops, classes and one to one sessions as well as a postal crit. I did tend to find that writing college essays stunted creativity and was often told off for my 'humorous phrases' which somehow crept into my college assignments.
  • Aptitiude for English Language at school, hopeless at English Lit although that may have been due to cruddy English teacher, who was in love with D H Lawrence (I still cant pick anything up by him without feeling queasy).  Creative writing course through local college, found out that yep Im the weirdo in the corner yet again!

Bookworm since the age of six, still am and think I have finally found my own voice instead of falling into the style of whoever I am reading at the moment.

Keep thinking about a writing course of some description but I tend to feel that it is something that develops on its own over time and practice, same as painting.  I don't think creativity can be taught.
  • I gained Level One and Two qualifications for Creative Writing via the Open College Network and was taught by a tutor that had published a number of novels.  I do believe that it had made my writing stronger overall in how I contruct my ideas and had not restricted my creativity at all.  I had previously been doing the Writers Bureau course and I achieved a certificate of commendation from them when my debut novel 'Early Memory' earned me more than my course fees back.  My second novel 'Game of Justice' had just been released. 
  • http://amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/026-1124483-5742827?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=%22Mark+Radford%22

Well done!
  • I suspect Shakespea may have been unqualified
  • none formal except English O level

Mid thirties decided it was time to give long-held writing aspirations a go, so went on a brilliant one day course - take-home message "no-one has to read what you write so success lies in giving editors what they want". It was like a light-bulb switching on.

I then read -loads- of books on writing technique and on pitching to editors (cheers, WN Bookshelf, good investment). Realised no way could I do creative writing, even though that was my dream, but successs came from learning & applying the craft for non-fiction articles.

I was also advised early that editors like people who are reliable and co-operative, so I make sure I am, even if it means staying up past midnight to meet a deadline.

• "I was born in an era when qualifications were not that signicant. People tended to judge by results. I took my engieering degree fr my own saisfaction but by then the job I was doing was way above the level where anyone bothered abou such things. I would have loved to have gone to university. techniques can be taught, not creativity.  I wonder if Sheakespear was properly qualified to write"

That wasn't me.

I don't have qualifications except in English lit and a lifetime of reading widely and ravenously.  Nothing ever changes.
  • My betting's on Crazy Horse.
  • Hello Peeps! Long time no hear, sorry about that. Trying to get my podcast edited and uploaded. It’s coming soon, honest. I already have the website for it at http://www.castingpods.co.uk.

Well, so writing qualifications? I just had to answer this one as many Talkbackers will already know from previous posts I have an MA in writing. I talk about it a lot on my website http://www.josiehenley.net/MA.html so won’t go on about it here, but suffice to say that I think it is not essential to have a qualification and that having the qualification does not necessarily guarantee you success as a writer, but was a brilliant experience for me and it certainly taught me a few things in terms of honing my skills, finding a voice and some direction.

MorbidMaiden I also went to Villiers Park – way back in 1988 when I was doing my A Levels. Each school got to send one pupil to go on this creative writing weekend thing, and I was picked. I was soooo chuffed! I was doing English Literature, I also did an online creative writing module just before I did my MA. My main degree was in Psychology and Linguistics – this is the mechanics of language: semantics, syntax, phonetics, language acquisition, that sort of thing. So it wasn’t creative writing but it did give me a lot of insight and I’ve always been fascinated by language.
  • You are quite right Jay for some obscure reason the system seems to think I am somebody else!!!!!!!! usually TT!!!!!!! Does this happen to anybody else?
  • I've done a bit of cross-dressing in my time.

So can we recognize each other's posts when the wrong name is shown against them?
  • I have an MA in History and, as far as writing is concerned, I have a diploma in copywriting which I passed about 10 years ago.
  • Hi there, Pascale. Could you have a quick look at the thread about French? It's got your name on it, too. Thanks.

I've just remembered I did a proof(please note second consonsant)-reading course. I suppose that helps with checking my work.
  • Pascale, a clue to where to look to explain Jay's message.
  • Thanks !  I had missed it altogether !!
  • Zoe - I think capitals are used when you're talking to or about your own mother rather than mothers in general. It's one that confuses me, too.

"Hello, Mum."

"I've got to buy a cabbage for Mum."

Every mum is loved by her/their children.

"My mum is eighty-seven." Not too sure about this one but, as it's got the word 'my' in front of mum, it may be right. You wouldn't write, "My Sister is ten."
  • Thanks Jay that makes sense.
  • Thought this one deserved another airing.
  • Especially as we've had quite a few new joiners.
  • do we need carpenters?????? :)
  • A good chippy's worth his weight in salt.
  • I started writing aged nine and have never stopped.I remember doing a distance learning creative writing course in my late teens.  It didn't get me published but it was fun and interesting. I did a degree in English and Publishing but it wasn't any help to me with actual creative writing and I never expected it to be. The successes I've had with that have happened the same way they do for all writers: by keeping at it and not letting the rejections get you down - not too badly anyway.  I worked with a few different publishers, so I suppose I saw the other side of things - I didn't get beyond editorial assistant before giving it up when our first son was born. I had a change of career after son number three.  I now work with nursery and reception age children running a story and language project.  Much more inspiring! I do try to check spelling and grammar and I'm not 100% confident about them.  I plan and structure stories and books - I think I learnt that from that distance learning course way back, from reading books about writing and from editors' feedback.
  • Hmmmm... I might have to pick your brains from time to time, Daisy.
  • You may not get anything very intelligent TT!
  • Boy, this is a long thread, don't you people have work to go too??  My qualifications are the old O levels, BA (hons) in social science/criminology. MSc(econ)from a two year course as part of diploma in social work. No creative writing experience. I like to rely on my imagination and life experience. Only now am I trying to get to grips with grammar now that it is important in my new-found hobby. 
  • Marc, the way I see it, life experience is the most important of all.  As well as being able to write, of course.
  • Any enginer asked to write a report on why the latest £2,000,000 widget blew up on test has mastered creative writng in a big way.
  • True... she says as one engaged to a race-engine builder and genuine diamond...  they are amazing people.
  • Hi, Marc. Not sure if you realized, but this thread dates back to June.