Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

another theatrical near miss

edited December 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• My play, The Idol of Sarajevo, which was shortlisted in the top five for the People's Play Award hosted by New Writing North, didn't win. Ho hum. The panel apparently were split as to whether the setting (Bosnia) would alienate or intrigue audiences. A concern I've had from the beginning. Oh well, onwards and upwards.
  • Fiona, take comfort from being short listed. That in itself is a great achievement. I know it doesn't feel like it when you get the final result but it is impressive by anyone's standards.
    Well done.
  • I need to add a thank you note to this. I have been agonising over whether to use real or fictitious locations in my novel. I have decided, because of the possible sensitivity in some of the subject matter to use fictitious ones. Thank you for helping me to make the decision. 
  • Fiona, that is still a good addition to your CV, well done in getting that far.
  • a shortlist is always a great step forward, be positive!
  • Thanks everyone. This is the third shortlist this play has had. Always the bridesmaid ... It's still in the running for a competition in New York though.  Here's hoping. Mutley, how did I help you make a decision? Was it because of my comment about the Bosnian setting alienating audiences?
  • Yes Fiona, it just struck a chord with the thinking I was going through.
  • I may be biased, Fiona, but I fail to see why it would alienate audiences - it's much more likely to intrigue them.  The country was in the news quite recently for a comparatively long time, Croatia next door is a very popular holiday destination and, I believe, Bosnia would be, too, if only the Foreign Office did not issue erroneous information about it on their website.  This has caused British insurance companies (apart from Saga, which is more expensive and Farmers' Union), not to insure vehicles for travel in that country.

You have still done well to have been shortlisted.

• Fiona - bridesmaids are crucial to a wedding too! It WILL happen - this particular groom obviously wasn't suitable - and meanwhile some of us are just ordinary guests! Keep your spirits up and keep believing in yourself and your work - Mr Darcy is out there right now looking for your play!
    Take care x
  • Mr Darcy, mmmmmmm :) Verica, I also think the Bosnian connection is intriguing, which is why I wrote it. But I was aware from the beginning that it was a risk. At an earlier staged reading (at another theatre) the writers were given an opportunity to ask the audience some questions to help in the play's development. I asked about the setting being intriguing or alienating. 80% said intriguing. Obviously this other theatre didn't do an audience poll! They obviously want something more parochial (sorry, local ;)