Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

2 months 'til release day....

DazDaz
edited November 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi talkbackers,
    Just thought I'd drop in and fill you in on where I am with the release of my novel 'The Equivoque Principle', the first part of the trilogy. For those who may not recall, Equivoque is a murder/mystery/thrilladventure set in Victorian London and featuring Cornelius Quaint's debut, the owner of a travelling circus.
    The past few weeks have been really exciting. For all those previously published, you know what I mean - for those not, you have so much to come and its great! I have been reading and re-reading copyedits, agreeing on covers, fonts and typsets and preparing last minute additions/deletions for the copyeditor. The Friday Project, my publishers, got the final proofs back and soon I will receive 1000 pages to sign and illustrate for the 1000 strictly limited editions. We're due for release in February, you can google 'The Equivoque Principle' for more info and expect a lot more updates the nearer to Feb '08 we get...
    thanks v much
    Darren
  • Congratulations Darren, I remember reading a small part you posted, when you wanted some opinions.
    Hope it sells well.
  • was this on YWO.com ? Only it rings a bell.
  • Congratulations.  That all sounds very good.
  • Excellent news, Daz. I remember reading about this on Talkback awhile back, and thinking how interesting it sounded. This must be a really exciting time for you, so bask in the glory - you deserve it!
  • Kateyanne, we got a glimpse on Talkback a couple of years ago.
  • Best of luck!
  • sounds great!  Enjoy and keep writing!
  • Well done Dan!
  • Congrats, Darren.
  • Thanks all. If there's anything you guys want to know about the process and what to expect pls let me know....obviously it may differ frm publisher to publisher but i can tell you my experience has been great so far.
    I have also signed contract for Books 2 and 3 of late as well, so for next 3 years there will be a Cornelius Quaint novel hitting the shelves. Will tell you more when I know...thanks again ffor the support.
  • Congratulations Darren!
  • Oh no I know what it is The Friday Project are publishing someone on YWO
  • Excellent news. Very pleased for you.

Have done my googling and am not surprised you're so excited. Well done.

I think, though, your heading for this posting is a bit unfortunate: "2 months 'til release day...."

What are you actually in for?
  • Congratulations Darren.
    I would love to hear all about the process when you have the time, as not all of us will make it, I'm afraid (though never say never.)
  • Congratulations Darren. How exciting for you!
  • Congratulations
  • I shall look forward to reading that then. Well done you!
  • Congrats Darren!  Look forward to seeing it on the shelves :-)
  • Congratulations!
  • Heather,
    to reply; (apologies to those of you guys who know this) as you probably know the publishing process is really drawn out. I expected once I'd signed contract in March 07 that it would be out in the summer of 07...how wrong I was, but its cool, as its given me time to write Book 2 (and doing Book 3 at the minute) and especially in the trilogy world, still having all 3 parts in a hiatus that you can go back and edit, or go back and slip things in certainly makes things more fun!
    contract was all signed and done and I kept in good contact with The Friday Project, who are a really nice bunch of people. Not too huge that you get swamped amidst their other listed books, and it ensures you can speak to the same person. Great bunch of people. Anyway...i digress...a couple of months back I got some cover ideas sent to me for feedback, then the sample text for my approval, then overall styling and design, which looks so cool - and for a minute I almost didnt recognise my little baby! it's like one of those makeover shows when someone looks reasonably pretty, if a little plain, and then once the makeup team have done their job BAM! all of a sudden they begin to shine, showing the beauty that was always there - but sometimes it takes someone else to bring it out of you. Then the book got sent to the copy editor, who sorted it all out neatly and did some great amendments. Then once i had re-read and approved it went to the copy-editor (and this is your last chance to ensure all errors are spotted and fixed, and last minute re-jigs (and yes, there will be many!) and then...its off to printers! I am getting sent a pack of 1000 pages to sign and illustrate, and then they'll be sent to publishers, and that is my involvement done until nearing release date and then who knows where it will go...(and then redo the process all over again next year for the sequel, 'The Eleventh Plague' and then again in 2010 for the final part of the trilogy 'The Lazarus Curse'.  CANNOT WAIT!!!
  • Congratulations. This all sounds very exciting.
  • Thanks Darren. It does sound really exciting and makes me even more keen to experience it for myself. Good luck with the next two and let us know when it's in the shops.