Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in December's magazines, due out 1st Nov?

edited October 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• A bit early, I know, but who's in December's magazines due out 1st November?

Please mention only yourself, unless we hear from anyone who expects not to receive their copies for a while.
  • I should be with any luck ! 
  • I just hope mine turns up on time this month.
  • I am supposed to be, look out for me ...
  • How come it is out so early?
  • getting sorted for the Christmas period?
  • Due out on the 1st?!?!?!?!?! This is getting ridiculous now.

Most of us, due to post strikes etc., have only just got November's issue. If they're going to dispatch something on the 1st of *November* it should not be a *December* issue!

Looks like they'll just have to sit around for a few weeks while I work my way through November's magazines first...
  • And because this is the big Christmas issue, there won't be another magazine until mid-January.

I mean, two and a half months?.
  • No, the Jan 2008 issue is out on December 12th I know that because Writing Mag told me as I am in it, eagerly awaiting that ( and the last mag too...)
  • Has anyone got their's yet, because I haven't?
  • I am STILL waiting for the last one!
  • As the others in Australia received their's -I think they said they had, then get in touch with the magazine and if needed ask for a replacement.
    Will we see December's issue tomorrow?
  • will we who subscibe get a £3.50 refund for writers news that came free with WM on the news stands?
  • That's a good point
  • This is the second time this year that they've given a WN with WM at the newsagents.Obviously they hope to up subscriptions.
    I expect there is an answer. But I'm not feeling generous at the moment.
  • So, so far, authoronline, dorothyd and kateyanne say they are in December's issue.  Will I be able to find your articles or stories if you use different names?
  • I'e used my real name.
  • well I won first prize in the poetry space comp real name is Shirley.
  • Oh but it's the Jan issue I am in not Dec. I am told it's out on the 12th Dec.
  • Well at least we know what date the Jan issue should be out!
  • Let's hope the postal strikes are over by then.  I'm being affected by them, big time.
  • They are meant to be, but I wonder.
  • Haven't got mine yet, but as we only got back today I have November's issue to read first.
  • Nothing yet.
  • my issues are here this morning and I am in the December WN, looking good too! (not me, the way it was laid out!)
  • Just a thought - could people tell us which magazine and which page? And, if it's not obvious who you are, the name shown in the magazine.
  • page 32 Writers News, under my own name which is in italics, item about New Year resolutions.
  • Got it this morning - DD, I'll look out for you on that page!
  • Nice one Dorothy - well done
  • I look forward to seeing that Dorothy my daughter has only just posted last months.
    Well done!
  • Just got mine - well done to any Talkbackers featured. Just about to to check it out.
  • Mine arrived today. I'm going to get some lunch, and settle down to read.
  • Yep, mine came in the post, too. There's a "Young Writer" magazine with them, too.
  • Robin, what a great leter (page 34) praising your story! 
    And can I ask, how much of the magazines do you read, TB's?  I have just gone through the issues, (in about 15 minutes) and found very little to read. This happens every month.  I rarely read the interviews unless I know the writer Judith Spelman is talking to (reading Ken Follett's was a one off and has resulted in a letter to appear later in WM, apparently) so all the profiles really go by the board, I don't 'do' non fiction any more so the business of writing is not read, don't need the life story ... loved Stuart Palmer's pages but then I always do, Diana Cambridge (? enough said, I think)don't do poetry and overall, what is there left to read? Very little.  I say this because I am intrigued by those who say they still have the November issues to read before they get to the December ones. The November ones were read that fast, 15 minutes tops, were packed in envelope and despatched to a friend in South Africa within a day.  Comments?  Your next question is why do I subscribe ... always have done from the start, it's a form of support, sometimes I get published by them, it helps support Talkback which is my lifeline and it is tax deductible as it is a 'trade' paper for a writer. (I'm self employed and every penny I can claim on tax helps!)
  • Have to admit that there hasn't been a lot recently that has had much for me.
    I loved the Turkey's Stuart Palmer highlighted again, like last year.
    And Dane is happy as he has the Young Writer magazine, and I'll be doing his subscription for that now.
    I haven't had time yet to read all the items I've noted that might have some interest.
    And I want to look for all those Talkbackers who got a mention this month.
  • Ooh, I haven't seen mine yet, although I am told it has arrived.  Can't wait to read that and the other talkbacker's material.
  • I like the idea of the Young Writer Magazine. It should be useful for teenage or younger budding authors.
    Dorothy, I think my publisher needs to read your New Year Resolutions for publishers - especially point 3.
  • Daisy, it was running for quite a while but had problems financing, and health problems of one of the organisers so it stopped production.
    My son really missed it.
    We had a letter earlier in the year asking us to re-subscribe, but it was a bit vague on when it would be out.
    Now it's definite Dane will be putting in for a subscription again.
  • Getting a bit paranoid here as I still haven't got mine!
    Dorothy - I read mine cover to cover because there are often little gems to be found in the most unlikely places. I neither read nor write sci fi but thoroughly enjoy Stuart Palmer's pages.
    That said, there's a lot less meat on the bones now than there used to be.
  • Just read Dorothy's piece, let's hope those in positions of power read it and take it on board, it will help them in fact.
  • Mine has arrived.
    I look forward to seeing TB contributions.
    I usually pick through for interesting bits and then reread it a bit at a time through the course of the month.
  • Mine hasn't arrived yet.  Hope they don't send them out alphabetically, otherwise I'll probably be last.

Saw WM in WHS today - it comes with a free paperback book this month.
  • Yes I bought a copy of WF magazine today, will get to read it later- probably take refuge in the loo to be undisturbed!
  • Yes, WF had a free book too.  I bought a copy to keep me going until WM/WN arrive.
  • Apparently the book was exclusive to WHSmiths, which is where I got it.  So saved the price of a book quality.

Also Dorothy, just read the letter, wow, I can't believe that I ispired someone.  That is pretty amazing and weird at the same time.
  • Robin, that is one good thing you did and one good feeling you can cherish for a while, especially when you think you are not writing well!
  • I know what Justine is saying though, Dorothy, before I entered the agent comp, I wasn't sure judging by past material if my stuff would fit in.  But evidently it does nd it shows the judges are open to new and original ideas.
  • Dorothy: you read WM in *15 MINUTES*?!?!?! It takes me about 3 weeks of train journeys to get through it...

I do tend to read most of it. Most useful for me are the poetry articles, the Jean Saunders column and Stuart Palmer's (wonderful) section, as well as the 2-page spread of very short articles. I like Adrian Magson and Jane Wenham-Jones' articles too, and often pick up valuable tips and insights from the non-fiction contributors. The interviews get read in a spirit of general interest rather than direct relevance.

Writers' News takes me much less time to get through, as it's easy to skip over the articles which are obviously of no direct interest.
  • that's where we differ, Amboline. I don't read the poetry section, of course, as my poetry is limited to doggerel, always has been, I don't much care for the short articles, not enough in them to grab my attention, Jean Saunders is very much for beginners, so I find nothing of interest there, Jane's, sometimes.  Stuart Palmer, always, he is SO good. David St J T, not any more. After 15+ years of reading WN/WM, I pretty well know what he has to say!  Michael Leggatt is entertaining but I don't read all of it.  By the time I skip the interviews (SIX in the last issue! I have complained that is really OTT!) there is little left, is there? So I read, wrap and post them on.