Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

JKR more of a visionary than Charles Dickens???

edited October 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Watching the last programme of 'Visionaries' (BBC World) this evening, I wasn't surprised (but I was disappointed) that JK Rowling was voted more of a visionary than Charles Dickens.  In my view, Charles Dickens was a genius who had a certain way of looking at ordinary people, and his books survive because people are people and will forever be people.  We know JKR's books have sold faster than any other book in publishing history, but Dickens's books (correct me if I'm wrong) span a wider spectrum of society, dealing with real people, albeit in rather a 'caricature' form.  We don't yet know how long JKR's books will continue to sell in huge numbers, but Charles Dickens has NEVER been out of print.  That has to count for something.

Also, in the Mozart v Madonna battle, Madonna won.  What are these people on?  (I could say that David Bowie was before Madonna and was way ahead of his time, whereas Madonna is a product OF her time, but knowing I worship David Bowie, some might think I was being pretentious.) 

People are strange.  It's the only conclusion I can come to.

http://www.visionariesdebate.com/
  • I just don't think you can compare Rowling and Dickens, and say one was more 'visionary' than the other, they did not exist at the same time, and the society they live/d in do not compare.
    A trult visionary writer is the author of '1984.'
  • I don't know why people bother to vote in these surveys - especially when they have to pay for the call or text. They don't prove anything.

There's one on a TV channel now asking people to vote for their favourite Morecambe & Wise clip. Hasn't that been done before?
  • Personally, I don't think EITHER JKR or Dickens make  great visionaries.  Dickens' stories were crowd pleasers, firmly set in his own time, full of 2D characters, with a lot of heavily contrived plot turns (inconvenient wives die just in time to allow remarriage to childhood sweetheart etc). Shoot me down if you like - I've only read two of his novels! - Rowling's stories are very imaginative, but have nothing to do with real life, now or future!

However, these kinds of votes always end up as mere popularity contests.  Tolkien frequently gets the people's vote for 'best writer', but his writing style was merely workmanlike.

Mozart? Unique and brilliant, yes. Ahead of his time? I don't think so. Although I don't listen to jazz, I feel that there should be a jazz musician in that slot, perhaps Miles Davis or so. Somebody who really broke new ground.

Out of the nominees in the various fields, the one who most obviously deserves the title of 'visionary' is Da Vinci. But putting him up against Warhol is a joke.  Like racing a greyhound against a donkey.

But which writer to nominate?  I'd be interested to hear other Talkbackers' choices on that one.
  • It would depend on how the question was phrased. Which writer made the biggest difference to the way we think? Which writer told the most gripping story? Which writer sold the most books?

There can't be a "best writer" because there are too many options.
  • Oh no, let's not go into the 'best' arena. I'd like to know who y'all consider to be a great visionary writer.  To me, it'd be somebody like Steinbeck or George Orwell, but I haven't quite decided yet.

In a very literal sense, it'd be William Blake.
  • "Visionary" presupposes that the person either has an uncannily accurate understanding of what's really going on in the world now, or has an accurate inkling of where the world might be going (as well as the ability to make their insights widely known). I think in that sense Dickens does count as visionary because he was great at exposing the kinds of suffering that polite Victorian society didn't like talking about - the plight of street children (Oliver Twist), the handicapped (Nicholas Nickelby), prostitutes (Oliver Twist again). He made them into a mainstream talking point. I'm not a great fan of Dickens as a novelist (give me the Brontes, Stevenson or Wilkie Collins any day) but I think as a social commentator he's incredibly important. That would earn him the distinction of "visionary" in my book.

I'm not sure there's any evidence of JK Rowling as visionary, much as I love her books.

I wouldn't say, though, that Rowling's books bear "no relation to reality". The reason that fairy tales have endured is that they provide a safe space in which difficult issues can be explored. A novel about somebody coming to terms with death and being let down by those closest to them could be a bit of a dreary affair - or it could be "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" :)
  • There's a big difference between being imaginative and being a visionary.
  • I think that for a writer to be considered a visionary they have to have put forward some idea that is way ahead of its time. Charles Dickens was more of a social worker than a visionary. You might a well say that the woman who wrote Black Beauty was a visionary! IMO, a writer like Asimov was much more of a philospher/visionary. His whole thing about robots developing a conscionsness and, maybe, becoming superior to humans was way ahead of its time. There is now a whole lot of interest in this subject. You just have to read magazines like Scientific American, which are full of debates on this topic. Aldous Huxley would be another writer who might deserve the title of visionary. JKR? Why? She's a great writer, better than old Dickens, but a visionary? No way.
  • the real truth here will come in who survives the future.  Will we be reading JKR (well, I won't as I have not read any and have no intention of reading any but you know what I mean) in one hundred years' time as we are with Dickens now?  (I love the books, every last one of them, as it happens...) but neither are visionary.  Dickens wrote and exposed horrors of his time, JKR found a winning formula of not very much, neither are visionaries. Someone should have checked their dictionaries first.

I can actually only think of Orwell as a visionary, and watch it happen.
  • I've never read JKR, but to say she's a better writer than Dickens???  Sorry.  No way.

I agree DD about Orwell - he saw things coming years ago, so why did no one take any notice before it became too late?
  • JKR a better writer than Dickens? Absolutely, and on every level. Dickens' characters are two-dimensional at best, mainly caricatures. In terms of their psychology they are black and white. Plus he shamelessly moralises. It's writers like this that give the authorial voice a bad name. He appeals to Brits for two main reasons - firstly because they are a nation of social workers obsessed with 'issues', of which Dickens is chock-full. And secondly, the Brits are in love with tradition and heritage for its own sake. Nobody really reads Dickens any more, and he is only kept artificially alive on the literary respirator that is our cultural snobbery. I wouldn't say this about Shakespeare, who is on a totally different plane.

One thing I do admire and value about Dickens was that he was unashamedly commercial in his approach. Ironically, if he were alive today he would be chasing modern audiences just as hard as he chased those of his time, and culture buffs would hate him every bit as much as they hate JKR.
  • I'm surprised to see that Jeffrey Archer isn't up there! G. Orwell ( real name Tony Blair) saw Big Brother coming but missed the X Factor. Animal Farm aka The Archers,  (Jeffrey's lot??). As for JPR  Rolling, never liked Benny Potter at all. 
  • Candy, I hate to disillusion you, but I read Dickens for pleasure (I know DD does, too).  Many others still find Dickens to be one of the best writers ever published.  Two-dimensional?  Nope, I disagree.  Yes, there was the old Victorian moralising in places, but it never took anything from the story, and besides - who was he writing for?  Fellow Victorians.  I suspect he had no idea people would still be reading his books a hundred or so years after his death.  No one thinks like that, and he was a man of his time, but because the stories are so humanised (I really disagree with you about his characters) they still resonate today, which is why people still read Dickens for pleasure.
  • If Madonna is better than Mozart then JKR wins hands down! Bleak House for old Charlie!

Incidentally, Madonna is more akin to "Maestro Salieri". 
  • don't anyone get me started on Shakespeare, I wish for a time machine to take me back so I could prevent his birth - please - so we don't have distorted mangled history from the past (we have enough of it now with this Tudor nonsense) and actual real, qualified historians saying things like 'I look to Shakespeare for my facts as he is nearer the time than I am.' and I am supposed to take the man seriously??? Shakespeare played with facts to a degree far more than the current writer of the Tudors did, putting people into battles before they were actually born for a start ... over written flowery pontificating speeches that say little and are of no relevance today.  That's my take on Shakespeare, anyway. Dickens now ... there is not enough room on Talkback for my comments on Dickens, loved for many a long year and read several times over. Imagine writing that out in longhand and preparing a magazine and creating stories that had cliff hangers to fit each edition and people crying on street corners when they read the endings, especially of my favourite, The Old Curiosity Shop! That's storytelling.  That's storytelling on a grand scale.  Scrooge and A Christmas Carol is as much a part of Christmas as Santa, too.  His people live on even now.  Would that I could believe my characters will do that.
  • I would just like to stand up for all those of us who have not only read, but thoroughly enjoyed every JKR book - there seems to be an awful lot of snobbery involved when it comes to criticising her work! The Harry Potter books are a jolly good yarn, which is what counts.  If you can't bring yourself to read them, don't criticise.

Incidentally, Stephen Fry did the talking book version which is fab.

Also fab is the way JKR has got so many reluctant readers reading - including my son.  Nothing on this earth would make him read Dickens; I couldn't even get him to watch Dickens on TV. Bring it on JKR - next series now please.
  • mcbemused, I agree with you.  I haven't read JKR because I have no real desire to and I have so much else to read that I'm not going to say, hey, everyone says I have to read Harry Potter so what I actually want to read will have to wait.  Sorry, no.  However, her ability to get kids reading has to be commended.  I don't think anyone has been able to do that since Roald Dahl.
  • I agree that it's good she has got lots of kids reading, but I don't have any inclination to start reading the books.
    The Richard and Judy children's books programme is tonight at 8pm.
  • mcbemused - I haven't read the books, but I listened to them this summer in my car to work. Stephen Fry did the most wonderful job - he made me thoroughly enjoy hour long commuting journeys! I also have his 'ode less travelled' on audio book too - not listened to that one yet though.
  • Banjo, Stephen Fry has one of these wonderful soothing voices.  Another one I could listen to for hours is Sean Pertwee, especially when he does the narration for wildlife programmes and such.  His voice sends me into raptures.  (I know.  Don't anyone say a word, all right?!)
  • TP have to agree about the two voices you mention, you can listen to them for hours.
  • Carol, Sean Pertwee does the Capital One advert and even that makes me come over all unnecessary!  Something about that husky voice!  He's not the prettiest boy (and I do like my pretty boys) but his voice - oh!  Flutter flutter flutter!
  • I've heard Stephen Fry reading two Harry Potter books (or Harrow Potter as I typed the first time!) and he was brilliant. He made Dobby the House Elf so endearing!
  • Much as I admire JKR's success, I'm not going to read the books - it's just not my thing and neither were the films - but I have to admit to still being a little bit inquisitive, so letting Stephen Fry tell me the stories sounds quite appealing and it would be ideal to fill up that wasted time I spend in the car.
  • I found the tapes (Talking Books) in the local library - they might be in the children's section.
  • I don't think JKR enters any debate about visionary writers (however good her books.) Aren't we talking about Huxley and Orwell and other writers who use(d) their ability to analyse their own society to see where it might all be heading?  J.D. Salinger had a good stab at writing about adolescent alienation and Golding wrote about tribalism in a post nuclear world. Upton Sinclair's vision of capitalism seems phrophetic in many ways. Since my lack of brain cells prevents me coming up with any more writers right now, I'd also nominate Fritz Lang for cinema and (along with Anyanka) Miles Davies for music.
  • Wouldn't it be ace if JK were a visionary, though? Then we could go to Hogwarts and learn magic - we could do all our boring jobs by magic, and if we still needed time, say for meeting deadlines, we could use a time-turner!

All for it, me.
  • Couldn't agree more, mcb! I often find myself saying to others that I'm sorry but I don't possess a magic wand.
  • Where on earth did anyone get the idea that JK was a visionary? Nor Dickens either for that matter. They would both be having a giggle if they were to read all this. To my mind the strengths of both of them are that they have imagination and they are story-tellers. Lots of contributors above have said why they don't fit the bill. But may I just say that picking any page of one of them and placing it alongside any page of the other, I would be more entertained by the page of Dickens than of JKR. Perhaps it has something to do with the markets at which they each aimed their work.
  • Re visionary writers Orwell and Huxley mentioned above - I find that '1984' is the better novel, with better characterisation and very powerful story-telling;  but 'Brave New World' is actually much closer to the consumerism-gone-mad society we currently live in. A fascinating compare-and-contrast exercise.
  • Well, I certainly think that Dickens has more right to be called a visionary - after all, he was writing in the days before movies and television when some of his ideas would have been quite new. Before ever Rowling came along I was reading The Worst Witch to my kids, which was about a school for little witches. And there was an American in HP's early days who claimed some of her characters (I think maybe the muggles) were similar to Rowling's, but it was all settled out of court so we didn't get to hear that much about it afterwards.
  • It's only a small point, but I don't see how anyone who admits to never having read JKR (and there have been several in this thread) can possibly have an opinion on her writing ability or quality of her output.
    In the trade, this has recently become known as 'doing a Germaine' after Germaine Greer's comment on a book show that she knew Tolkien's books were rubbish and full of Nazis because a friend had told her so ...
    Personally, I read Dickens at school and didn't think much of him, probably because I had little interest in the world he was describing, and I've read most of JKR's book and enjoyed them enormously. But enjoyment or otherwise of books is almost entirely subjective, so this is one subject few of us are likely to agree about.
    James
  • But the thread question is whether or not Rowling is more of a visionary than Dickens, not whether or not she is more enjoyable. It is actually possible to decide whether someone is a visionary by knowing her themes and content without actually having read her work - college academics do this all the time. 
  • You're quite right - that was the question. But despite the questionable practices of college academics, I still maintain that the opinion of somebody who's read a book is more likely to be right than that of a person who hasn't.
    As far as the visionary aspects of Dickens and JKR are concerned, I don't think either author fits the bill. I would suggest that the most visionary writer of the twentieth century was probably Arthur C Clarke.
    James
  • Suddenly (while working full time) I see some of you have far too much time on your hands :O)
  • Just came across this quote in a book (Stranger Than Fiction: A Book Of Literary Lists): I never read a book before reviewing it. It prejudices me so.' (Attributed to someone I've never heard of, called Sydney Smith).
  • Let's throw Terry Pratchett into the debate.  Personally I believe JK got her idea for Harry Potter from his books.
  • It seems to be acknowledged generally that Rowling drew on many different sources (including fairytales) for her ideas. As they keep telling us, an idea isn't copyright and it's how an idea is rendered that matters. But this does affect her visionary status, standing on the shoulders of giants, etc. etc. Although I suppose even Einstein must have done that.
  • That's sad that you have very little interest in the Victorian world James.  If it wasn't for the Victorian pushing the boundaries of Science, Medicine and Literature the world would be a very blander place now.

As for Dickens, along with other writers like Gaskell, they brought the plight of the poorest of society into the public arena, and that is why we are so appalled today at the thought of children working jobs where they would be crushed in granary mills, or women having fingers sliced off in cotton mills.  The pen is truly mighter than the sword.

As for saying that if you haven't read a book, you can't have an opinion, what a load of crap.  If you walk into a book shop pick up a book and decide after reading the blurb you have developed an opinion on that book.  If people don't want to read HP, don't launch an attack, respect them.

Finally, I would like to say my favourite book is Collins The Woman In White (the original detective novel) and the only book that has ever had me sobbing is Bleak House.  Such a shame that a contemporary novel has never had the same effect on me.
  • . . . and with that, she left for her English Studies lecture.
  • I have to agree with Stirling and others who defend the right NOT to read JKR. I have seen enough, looked at the blurbs, the thickness of the (grossly overwritten, surely!) books (the general opinion is that the earlier shorter books are better by far) and the fact it is not a genre I want to read for pleasure (definitely not for work!) to know I do not wish to read this lady.  I do not wish to contribute to what has become a sort of mania that has little or nothing to do with writing excellence. She is not a visionary. Simple. She wrote a fairy tale about a boy.  It got filmed (so have a lot of other books, what's different about this lot?) I don't read Terry Pratchett either but my sister loves him and has all the books and the models.  It isn't something I want to read, after trying one book I found he was not for me.
    But Charles Dickens, well, if you can't read The Old Curiosity Shop and get involved with the mass of highly colourful often outrageous yet instantly recognisable characters he brings in during Nell and her grandfather's journey and the despicable Mr Quilp leaping in and out of the tale and not feel desperately sad when Nell dies, there is no hope for you!  One of his outstanding throwaway descriptions I have never forgotten is to say someone was 'as tall as an afternoon shadow.'  Says so much in a few words. The man was/is a genius.
    So, no need to read JKR, just because others do, no need to read Jordan, because others do, the hype is the same, after all.  I am not criticising her books, I don't read them so I won't comment on the standard of writing or lack of editing or anything else I have seen written about at length. I will say she is NO visionary, just someone who got an idea and ran with it. And made a lot of money and if along the way she got children reading, that's a bonus. I just wish they had learned to acquire the love of reading a lot earlier, is all.
  • Hi Stirling
    I don't think you need to descend to abuse. What I actually said was, and I quote 'the opinion of somebody who's read a book is more likely to be right than that of a person who hasn't' and I maintain that that is a perfectly reasonable statement.
    Everyone rejects books without reading them - that's patently obvious. Some people never read fiction, or non-fiction, or biographies, or romance and it's perfectly acceptable to say 'it's not my kind of book' based on the blurb or reviews or whatever. But I maintain that nobody can properly criticise a book unless they've actually read it.
    I think Dan Brown is arguably one of the worst writers ever to have achieved commercial success, but I state that from having read - or at least tried to read - three of his books. I would never have the temerity to rubbish - or praise - an author without having read at least one book by him or her, because to do so would be wholly unfair.
    Dorothy - you have the absolute right not to read JKR because you don't think you will enjoy them, just as I have an absolute right not to read Dickens because I know I don't enjoy his work, having at least tried to read one. As I said before, reading is entirely subjective. The number of books on Amazon that have attracted both one-star and five-star reviews are an immediate proof of this. And I don't actually accept that there is 'no hope' for me just because I don't happen to share your enthusiasm for The Old Curiosity Shop. That just seems, well, arrogant. Sorry.
    James
  • The old maxim should rule here: Agree to disagree!
  • Amen to that, Claudia. James B has been calm, measured and reasonable, and deserves to be replied to in similar fashion.
  • Thank you, ladies!
    James
  • Never mind Stirling. She is just another jealous wannabe writer. If she considers Dickens to be the world's greatest writer then I sure ain't surprised that she can't find a publisher for her own stuff. It's probably as two dimensional as old Dickens' stuff! As for the Victorians discovering Science? What about Newton, Bruno,
    Copernicus, Galileo?? Were they Victorians???
  • And another thing, Stirling. Instead of being rude to someone like JB,perhaps you should read some of his books and try to learn something from them.
  • I'm not sure that is entirely fair, Candy. I also adore Dickens and I have been published, and no, he is not a two dimensional writer, or he would have long ago been relegated to the ranks of the 'has beens' instead of being widely quoted and having given us a lot of expressions and names we use today.
    We should only read someone's books if we are interested in the genre in which they write, otherwise it is a waste of time, money and energy.  As is putting someone down for holding a point of view. I said much the same, remember?  I dislike the hype, the hoohaa around JKR more than anything, which is why I refuse to subscribe a single penny toward it.  Incidentally, I am not alone, another forum I visit, an American one, the majority there said the same thing.  In fact, I cannot recall a dissenting voice, so the Americans haven't fallen for the hype as we have here, which may say a lot about the English. 
    And, if you go back to the top of this thread, you will find the comment 'in my view, Charles Dickens was a genius who had a certain way of looking at ordinary people, and his books survive because people are people and will forever be people.'  Stirling and I are not alone in our love for that great writer so I think it a bit unkind and unfair for you to make that comment about Stirling. We all have to start somewhere, and we all start at the same 'somewhere' and work our way up, don't we?  Or am I reading this entirely wrong?
  • Stirling may not have phrased her remark about James in the best way, but I'm certain it wasn't meant maliciously.
    She has very strong views, and I suspect that the study she is currently undertaking is having a big influence on her thinking at this current time.
    I remember being very scathing of modern fiction after I did my English A'Level, it took me two years to be able to appreciate a standard piece of fiction.