Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've just finished my thriller!

edited September 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I just finished my thriller two days ago. What a relief. I've read it and read it and changed things, and tried to follow all the excellent advice in the book How to Write a Thriller. Three friends from my writing group have had a quick read and really liked it. They have been very honest and I trust their opinion. I am now thinking about submitting it to an agent, or perhaps trying to find a publisher who will look at ms from unagented writers. Do they still exist?
  • I don't know the answer to your question but it occurs to me that you should celebrate reaching the finish line.
    Hurrah :-)
    I only wish I had reached this stage.  Oh well back to work.
    No doubt other talkbackers will have good advice to offer.
  • well done on finishing it! But don't be in such a hurry to send it out. First wait at least a week, if not longer, before reading it again. Then the mistakes will leap out at you. There's nothing like distance from it for you to see the major flaws, and they will be there.  I do it all the time.
    Meantime, start canvassing a few agents with the first chapter and synopsis, which will give you something to do while you wait.  Don't rush to send the whole thing anywhere until asked.  Check out the 'query letter' thread and read the ebook before writing your letter, to get it right first time.
    Very few publishers these days will look at unagented work and very few agents will take on unpublished writers.  It's going to be a slog but if your work is good, it will get there.
    I wish you luck!
  • Yes, I did celebrate with a bottle of champagne. It's been a long haul and I'm glad it's over. I feel mentally exhausted but happy.
  • Thanks for that, Dorothyd.
  • Well done Caro.  Empathy empathy.  How many words and how long did it take.  I'm struggling.

Marc.
  • Well done Caro. I agree totally with Dorothy's advice, if you send it out without having taken that step back you will be doing your hard work an injustice.
  • Sounds like a catch 22 situation this publisher and agent business. They won't accept unagented work and agents are reluctant to take on new writers. Heavens, not a very optimisitc prognosis is it. The weaker minded will feel to heck with it. Come on, whoever wrote this, what future for new writers..
  • Marc, it's taken me about 9 months and the ms is 101,000 words, about 395 pages. I started off quite slow but in the last four months my writing really accelerated.
  • Well done, terrific effort! Wish you all the best in finding an agent/publisher. Once you start to send your novel out- and have had a good break; don't forget to get going on your second novel!!
  • Well done, and best of luck in finding an agent &/or publisher. You'll have to change your Talkback profile now!
  • About nine months? I hope your baby finds it's way out into the world, then I can read it too  :-)
    First of many? Naming them is always so hard, but not really as important to me as other people seem to find it is for themselves.  Mine always seem to choose their own name.
    If you have, or were to name it, what would it be called?
  • Well done Caro!
  • Caro- congratulations! I bet you're dead chuffed to get it finished. Do let us know when it's in print. I love thrillers!
  • Woll, I wrote that about agents/publishers. It's incredibly difficult. I have sent work out and had it returned as they no longer take unsolicited MS, even though the W&A says they do. They get loads, as in loads, of MS all the time which are useless, they prefer now to have it filtered through an agency instead. They in turn want someone with a track record ... so getting in is very difficult.  But, if the work is outstanding, virtually ready to go to print, grabs the attention (see the thread on presentation where I posted a long, long piece from an editor at a publishers, what to do and what not to do) you can break through. They all want big sellers, but they don't want the aggro of ploughing through the rubbish to get to it. As an editor on a very very small scale I get enough rubbish, so I can visualise easily what the major companies get!
    I began my writing career by writng for small press, readers letters, short stories, short articles, building up a CV, so that when the inspiration came along for the children's books, I already had a CV of a kind, saying yes, people like my writing.
  • First well done.

Secondly, maybe you should try getting it professionally critiqued?.  I am in the process of my last draft of my crime novel so I am thinking about launching it on youwriteon.com now.  I see how that does, and if it looks hopeful (I'm not expecting to win the professional critique) I am going to submit it to Cornerstones for an indepth critique before I even go anywhere near an agent or publisher.

If you have a read through W&A Yearbook you will find a handful of new writer friendly agents (including our friend James Barrington's!).  As for publishers, I'm not certain, but I would probably say try the independent publishers.  If it is a crime thriller I recommend Creme de la Crime, they are very interested in new talent, and if you are a bit of an entrapeneur why not try Jay's publisher Bewrite Books (their books are only POD - but not self/vanity published)?.
  • Thanks for all your good wishes. Stirling, I had thought of Creme de la Crime, but I think my thriller is too long. Also, it is a historical mystery and if I'm not mistaken, I think that they are mainly interested in crime. I'll look at their website again.
  • Wow, great news :)  All the best with agent-hunting...
  • I was thinking of approaching Robert Hale. I don't think they require you to have an agent. Am I right?
  • Isn't that MW's publisher?

Are you going to start on your next book now? Or are you having a rest first?
  • Robert Hale published the books of one of our club members and she hasn't had an agent ever.
  • Hi Caro, and congratulations!
    Let me echo what other people have said and suggest you do nothing for a week or so, to put some distance between you and your work. Then take the MS out of the drawer and read it aloud. That's the best way I know of identifying clumsy or inaccurate writing, and I often find I'll pick up errors or omissions in the plot.
    While you're reading it, try to imagine that it's a book you've picked up in Smiths or somewhere. Does the first sentence, and the first page, and the first chapter, grab you and want to make you read on? If not, change something so that it does. Only when you're completely satisfied should you think about sending it anywhere.
    Then think about having the book professionally critiqued. Friends and colleagues saying it's good is one thing - when a professional writer says it is, you know you're on the right lines.
    Agent or publisher? My view is find an agent first, if you can. If you haven't already got a copy, email me and I'll send you my article 'Inspiration, perspiration, publication' which covers this. When you submit the book, spend a long time getting the covering letter right because that's the first thing the agent or publisher will see, and it has to sell you as well as the MS.
    Robert Hale will accept unagented writers. A friend in Andorra is now on, I think, her third book with them, but so far hasn't found an agent prepared to take her on.
    Hope some of this helps!
    James
  • James you continue to share your writing knowledge helping others- well done mate! long may it continue!
    Wish you all the best with your latest novel.
  • Thanks for that advice, James. I have put the ms in a drawer and I won't look at it for another week. I would like to send it to Cornerstones for a professional critque but I can't afford it at present as I'm getting married in November. I wanted a quiet wedding but I come from a big extended Irish family and they'd be very disappointed if we didn't have a big do.
  • Have you thought of trying youwriteon.com Caro?.  You never know, you might win the professional critique.
  • Just had another thought while clearing my in box Caro.  Have you heard of an online crime writers writing group?.

The webpage is:
    [email protected]
  • Another thought Caro.

Have you thought about the CWA's Debut Dagger Award?.  The entrance fee is a bit costly (£20), but it would be worth it even if you were a runner up.
  • Thanks for that info. I'll check out CWA, you never can tell.