Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Jigs and Reels

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• This collection of short stories by Joanne Harris the Yorkshire author of Chocolat is  a burst of sparkles! Almost every story is a delight to read. Normally, I don't usually go for short stories but I felt complelled to give this book a shot and wasn't dissapointed. I've actually been inspired to make a collection of my own... 
  • Ta for that
  • I enjoyed that book as well, MM. Have you read Bread and Chocolate by Philippa Gregory? Similar but different.
  • That sounds great, I love good literary short stories. And what a fantastic title!
  • I have enjoyed Joanne Harris's novels so will look out for this.
    Thanks
  • Jane Gardam's short story collections are v. good, too.  Love Jigs & Reels.
  • Yep, definitely worth a read.  Joanne Harris is one of my favourite writers, and Jigs & Reels is a fantastic collection.

MM, have you read Gentlemen & Players?
  • I haven't TP but I'll keep my eye open for it, cheers. (:
  • Has anyone read How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer?  I found the stories very enjoyable and varied.
  • Picked this up after everybody's recommendations above, and am now working my way through it.

Mixed feelings so far. It's an easy, light read, which is great for bedtime reading - but to be honest I usually expect a little more oomph from my short stories. So far, these have all been quite fluffy. And I have to confess to getting really irritated by the fact she keeps going on about shoes all the time.

On the plus side, she does do fun things with fairy stories. Her foodie skit on HP Lovecraft is particularly inspired; it was a joy to read, especially as it was so unexpected.

Those who enjoyed this collection should definitely check out Jeanette Winterson's "The World and Other Places", which is similarly full of fairy-tale references. It's probably my favourite short story collection to date.
  • Prefer Jane Gardam.  Has some great openers  eg from 'Going into a Dark House' collection

My mother died with her hand in the hand of the Duchess.

'I could do without the coffin,' said the Englishwoman.  'Going to China with a coffin.'

Sister Alfege was dying in the back of the Morris Traveller. She was dying no faster than last week or the week before that, but faster than the week before that, the month before that.

Don't they just want to make you read on?  No.  That's not another first liner.
  • I've just bought Wilderness Tips - a collection of short stories by Margaret Atwood - will be dipping in soon.