Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lipograms

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Lipograms: what are they and why should I kare?
  • Look at this  http://www.spinelessbooks.com/gadsby/
  • what a clvr prson!
  • When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was some sort of cross between liposuction and a telegram. Now I realise it's something a lot cleverer.
  • I like that, Redames...

Do you have a fat friend or a rotund relative? Then why not treat them to a Lipogram.
  • How could he avoid 'the'?
  • Difficult - could use "that" in some circumstances. I presume switching languages would be cheating "la" or "das"
  • Jay - He could have written in Russian because it doesn't have a word for "the".

Of course, he'd have had to become fluent in Russian first, but maybe that's the lesser of two challenges.
  • After the success of "Wave of Hope," would Talkbackers like to try their hand at a lipogram?

Maybe something under 300 words; not the letter 'e'; free choice on letter or to be chosen in advance (at the Adult Education course I attended, someone did a brilliant one without using the letter 'L').

Suggestions, please.
  • How about taking each letter in turn alphabetically? I'll wait until "Z" comes round.
  • Perhaps we'd better rule out all the vowels - plus maybe t + h (the); and d, r & s (past, doer, and plurals).

Radames - not sure whether you meant everyone to do e.g. 'b'; or for you for to 'b' and then the next person to do 'c' etc. It doesn't really matter - it's just for fun.

Who wants to play? Do we write something without using the letter 'b', then?
  • Could we start off with one or two sentences each? Unless anyone wants to write more, of course!
  • I think that would be easier Jenny. What do you say Jay? It's your idea.
  • What happens when we have to omit the J, Jay?!!!
  • We refer to him as "Mr Mandal" or "Sir"
  • Jay - is there any other way you'd like to be addressed?!!!
  • Nobel Laureate for Literature wouldn't go amiss.
  • OK, I'm in charge.

The letter 'b' must NOT be used.

The story Talkbackers are writing is a love triangle between

ANNA - a woman
    JAMIE - a man
    SAM - either, but we stick with first posting as to gender throughout!

Don't forget dialogue - or narrative. You may wish to change from 1st to 3rd - but make sure it's not too jumpy.

If you've got a brilliant idea but are afraid someone else is about to post, post "ME NEXT"; double check in five minutes' time that no one has posted; and then post your entry within the next five minutes. Got it?

No more than 50 words in any one post.

AND NO USING THE LETTER 'B' AT ALL!

Good luck!
  • 'Tell me, dear.' Said Jamie, 'Whatever are you making?'
    'Yeast, flour, warm water, a little salt, dash of sugar.' Anne replied. 'Work it out, I'm making...
  • Moira, you're evil.
  • the staple diet of many an honest worker.'

However, Jamie wasn't convinced. He knew that Sam was particularly fond of Anna's culinary preparations, and suspected that she may infact have spent her time in the kitchen for his profit. he had to know the truth.

PS - I haven't a clue what she's cooking - do you put sugar in what the French couldn't afford when Marie Anoinette said 'Let them eat cake'?
  • Anne laughed hysterically. "If you only knew the truth. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to to knead the mixture."

"Exactly why do you need the mixture?" Jamie asked innocently.

Anne didn't find this amusing. Ten minutes later, after Jamie had washed the mess out of his hair, he returned to the kitchen, to find that Anne was now preparing something else.

"What's that?" he asked.
  • (Fainites .... by the way, what befalls someone if they bung in an illegal letter - maybe because they didn't notice it? Do they get banished from the thread?)
  • In other words, To Be Or Not To Be?
  • You'll just have to put up with us all taking the mickey, but we won't bar you from further posts.
  • Yes, Radames, just a teensy amount, although I prefer to use honey as it gives a nicer taste.
    What do you mean, evil? Moi?
  • I'm thinking about this one, too. Anyone else want to put something?
  • “Mulled wine.” Into the hot water she put sugar and spices. Next, she added the lemons she’d cut up earlier. The ten-minute wait seemed endless. Then it was time to pour in the red wine, and heat gently.
  • Don't forget to put in plenty of cinnamon and a vanilla pod. Let's taste it now!
  • Thank heavens for cookery books!