Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Music heaven

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Did anyone see David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) in concert at the RAH. Apperences by Crosby, Nash, Bowie, and Dick Pary the brilliant saxophonist who played on Dark Side of the Moon  and Wish You Were Here. I was in raptures.
  • I missed David Bowie????? Man!  No!!!!  ARGH!!!!!!

(This person worships the Bowie God.  Can you tell?)
  • Hey  TP, I am also a Bowie worshipper. I have ALL his albums, been to many concerts. Maybe we should open a thread on understanding his lyrics ie Cygnet Committee, Width of a Circle.  Or, who was the Man Who Sold the World?  Marc.
  • You SOLD your Bowie albums?????

Sorry, I have to ask - WHY????????????????
  • I was just listening to my favourite Bowie track a short while ago.  Ha ha ha, hee hee hee... 
    Shame he peaked so early and never reached those heights of achievement again, especially lyrically.
  • I must be unusual in (mainly) preferring 80s Bowie to 70s then. Lyrically I don't think he ever bettered "Ashes to Ashes" or "Teenage Wildlife" (we'll forgive him the awful line about the hallways ;-)). And "Absolute Beginners" is surely one of the most soulful, most uplifting songs ever written. It's probably my first choice song when I'm really down and need something to give me a lift.
  • Perhaps one of the Bowie fans can help me. Some friends and I were talking about him recently, and we spoke about a fairly recent song. The video clip showed Bowie crossing all of his previous incarnarions in a house. We all said how we loved it, but none of us could remember the title of the song. Does anybody know it?
  • Sorry, can't help there.  I haven't seen any new Bowie clips since '...hours' a few years ago.  I think 'Thursday's Child' was the last one I caught. Shame.

Andy, I agree 'Absolute Beginners' is one of the best songs ever written.  Have you seen the film?  I love it - even though it was slated by critics and wasn't exactly a success, I adore it, and it's the only film where I can actually relate to the jazzy soundtrack.  It seems to fit, somehow, and normally I can't abide jazz.

Have recently invested in Within Temptation's 'Silent Force Tour' DVD - brilliant, inspiring stuff for an Earth-worshipping Goth such as myself.  OK, it's not cheap, but there are 2 DVDs and a CD, which amount to 347 minutes of material - now THAT's music heaven!
  • I love the "Absolute Beginners" movie too. A truly mind-melting mix of kitsch and deep, deep creepiness...
  • You find it creepy?  Really?  I think it's heavenly.  Obviously not the White City race riots, but I don't even find that bit creepy, just disturbing because it really happened (not choreographed in the same way, though, I suspect...).

No, for someone who dresses mostly in black and purple, I find the colours stimulating and fascinating.  The scene where Crêpe Suzette paints the black sparkly dress and then shimmies out onto the catwalk always makes me wants to bop.