Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Books you've just bought

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• We've had books you're reading, and just finished reading, so why not what you've just bought, I thought.
    Today's post brought 'Smuggling in the British Isles A History by Richard Platt.
    And The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis.

Anyone else?
  • KidsSongs by Nancy Cassidy (replacing an old family copy that's gone AWOL) - comes with CD or tape.  Just about the sweetest book and album of songs for kids I've ever heard (apart from one track about a fox getting at ducks!).  I am using many of the songs for work.  Which reminds me, she says as she starts another thread.
  • My latest purchases are "Ferney" by James Long, "The Collected works of Isaac Babel", and "The bumper book of Look and Learn".

I've also just ordered "Troy: Fall of Kings" by David Gemmell for my Dad's birthday and "Reading Myself and Others" by Philip Roth for myself.

Richard
  • And I actually bought a book in Waterstones on Friday, 'Beyond Seduction' by Stephanie Laurens (the sixth in a set.)
    Sorry to lower the literary tone.
  • I'm waiting for Kateyanne's book 'Serena and the Moor's Last Sigh' to arrive. Also two books I've missed so far: Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood' and The Kite Runner. Oh yes, and I've treated myself to a Sam Baker CD, Pretty World. Even less Talkback time on the horizon!
  • Howard,

I enjoyed both In Cold Blood and The Kite Runner - if 'enjoy' is the right word for these. Fascinating, interesting, instructive - they all apply to both. I hope you 'enjoy' them as much as I did.

For the moment I am reading 'Plowing the Dark' by Richard Powers with 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins waiting after that.

Lucky in that I have a few good bookshops that sell English language paperbacks (US and UK editions). More expensive than the UK and a somewhat limited choice but it still comes cheaper than Amazon with their postage rates. And I can order books here too. They don't take that much longer than when I ordered from Amazon.
  • Carrie by Stephen King, Gerald's Game (S. King), and Wannabe a Writer? by Jane Wenham-Jones.  I've also just received a late birthday present: Writer's Guide to Character Traits by Linda Edelstein.
  • All the King's Horses, in the hope I can find answers to my destrier/courser/rouncey questions (knights' mounts) The Early Tudors, England Under The Tudors, a biography of Orlando Bloom (for a friend!)and there is another book on Orlando to come soon, she has a birthday coming up and her spirit companion asked me to get the books as from him.  The things we do ... and I bought The Time Traveller's Wife which I read almost non stop and thank all of you for recommending a wonderful read. It is on its way to the States to a friend who will also think it's a wonderful read, that I know.
  • Six Feet Over: Adventures in the Afterlife, by Mary Roach, which takes a serious (but amusing) look at reincarnation, hunting the soul, weighing the soul, mediums, telecommunicating with the dead, and so on; Roget's 21st century Thesaurus (I had been making do with one from the 1960's, and this one is in dictionary form, which is handy); and John Kremer's 1001 Ways To Market Your Book, because of self-publishing my kids' story.
  • I bought John Dunning's 'Bookman's Promise' and 'The Sign of the Book' mysteries about books. I can't wait to start them. I have to finish off other ones first, I've a got a few that I've read halfway sitting around.
  • I bought Stolen Time by Sunny Jacobs whilst visiting Ways with Words at Dartington.  I went to the talk by Sunny and I felt humbled just to be in her company.  It is the story of a woman together with her partner who was wrongly accused of murder (in the USA).  She spent seventeen years in prison, five of them on death row in solitary confinement and in that time, her husband was executed, her children were estranged and her parents were killed in a plane crash.  She is a remarkable woman.  Many people were in tears listening to her.  I had the book signed by her. I haven't yet read it as I have had a pile of other books waiting to be read.
  • Apart from my reading list?.

I was naughty on Sunday.  I bought Wannabe a Writer (by Jane Wenham Jones, which is quite good, especially how not to approach agents!) and Stuart MacBride's new book (which I can't remember the life of me what it's called).

For my religious module, I have just bought a Short Introduction To Hinduism and a Christian Ethics Textbook.
  • Prodigal daughter by Jean Saunders, just after having a workshop with Jean at Durham, though when I'll have time to read it I can't imagine, as I've still to read all the WM, WN and WF magazines which arrived during the Summer while we were away.           
  • Off on hols two weeks today so stocking up on holiday reading

No One Noticed the Cat - Anne McCaffrey
    Three Fates - Nora Roberts
    Another novel - the title of which has fallen off the forgettory!
    Teach Yourself Tap Dancing (I started lessons last week and could use some additional help!!)
    And I'm trying to source a copy of Rilke's Possibility of Being
  • have you looked on abebooks.com?
  • Smaug - Are you going to read Teach Yourself Tap Dancing while you're on a beach?
    (Pictures problems with sand getting into tap shoes!)

Or are you going to tap dance all round the cultural highlights of a foreign city?
    (Expects Smaug to appear on the news as yet another British eccentric.)
  • I've been in Cannes for a week, soaking up the sun, and got some books in French (cheaper than here in Switzerland): Xinran's 'Funerailles C
  • I thought I was doing well with "Nee Hao Mah" but you're such an intellectual, TP :O)  Enjoy the books.  Isn't it hard work writing the novel?  How can some of them make it look so easy?  Trotting out at least one a year....
  • (I'm looking forward to reading them Clarissa. Likewise, I read The God Delusion a while back. Thought provoking and well argued.)
  • They're all reading, or have read, "The Kite Runner" at work.  And there's me, at break and dinner times, sat poring through "Fighter Command 1939-1945".  Fascinating ... er, and real.
  • Just ordered James Barrington's 'Overkill' and 'Pandemic' from the Book Depository. Had some good reviews which confirm my hubby is likely to enjoy them.
    So although I haven't got them for myself, I will be asking hubby to give me a review.