Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bella Maria - story to read

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• http://www.toowrite.com/bella-maria-9639

Having just seen the Flash on page 9 of October's Writers' News, I've joined Toowrite and submitted a story in a competition with a £1,000 prize. You'll find it at the web address above.

SHOCK! HORROR! It's not gay. If you like it, you can even vote for it!
  • I voted, Jay.

You should write for women's mags...or maybe you already do :)
  • Thanks, Isabella. I would if they didn't mind gay storylines!
  • You don't have to write gay all the time, do you?

I might send a couple in myself - not gay ones, you understan - but I'm going to have to leave it until after the weekend as I'm being shouted at...the boat show is calling :(
  • A neat little story which I was going to vote for. Told I'd already voted. Quite ridiculous as I've never even looked at the site before, and the one vote already received has to be Isabellas. Weird.
  • Loved the story, Jay.  I voted for you.  It only shows that you have 1 vote though, last time I looked.  Don't understand that.  Anyway, good luck in the comp.
  • There's 2 showing now. Please don't feel that I'm browbeating you into voting. Thank you if you do, though.
  • Loved your story, Jay, and just voted for it. Good luck!!
  • Thanks, Jenny. Is anyone else posting one of their stories?
  • Gay writing appeals to me - there's humour and pathos. It's a side of life that's not portrayed so often - and perhaps it shouldn't be seen as 'different', anyway.

If there's a 3rd competition, I've got a story about an old man and a cafe (again not gay) - but I need to get the word count down first. It should reduce as I haven't edited it yet, so it's full of either/or's. Am I the only person that does that - put in "certain/sure/definite/positive" and then decides later which to use?
  • If you're thinking about submitting/posting an entry, competition No.2 closes on 20th September, with voting continuing for two weeks after that.
  • Jay, I don't think I'll be sending anything after all. I don't like their terms and conditions. Have you read them?
  • I enjoyed the story, I voted for it.
  • Hiya.  Just had a read and voted.  I love that last line!
  • Thanks, folks.

Re terms & conditions, Isabella - I'll have another read through, but the story I sent them has already done the rounds; and obviously won't be needed for any future gay collection.

A story about an old man and a cafe is straight, too, but I'm in the process of finishing it and wouldn't want to run into any problems placing it (if possible).

Thanks for reminding me. I'll definitely double-check first.
  • Hmmm. Clause 14's certainly a bit onerous. What do other people think about these conditions?
  • Jay, I just looked at it. Clause 14 would worry me.
  • Forgot to say - really liked your story and I voted for you.
  • I just had a look at clause 14, and while the first bit is no different to the BBC rules on stuff.
    I definitely didn't like the second bit at all.
  • I haven't mis-read it, have I?
    If I submit a story - not win, just submit - they can use it without paying me and I won't be able to use that story ever again. Is that about the gist of it?
  • That's what I understood Isabella
  • It's a good story, Jay.  I've voted for it, but why is it not possible to leave a comment on it?
  • Thanks, everyone.

A couple of extracts from the TooWrite site which might clarify things (AND = Associated Northcliffe Digital):

When this two-week period is up, a shortlist will be drawn from the entries with the highest number of votes. If there are more than 10 entries with the same number of votes, then all of these entries will be put into the shortlist.
    A winner will be chosen from the shortlist based on the quality of the entry and not on the number of votes it achieved.
    The winner of the £1,000 cheque will be selected by AND project editor Julie Bayley, a former journalist and commissioning editor. Just one cheque for £1,000 will be awarded, there will not be separate prizes for true stories and fictional entries.
    The judge's decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning this decision.
    The winner will be notified by telephone where possible. A list of the winner and runners up will be posted on the website.

(FAQ)
    I have registered for Toowrite but I am unable to access the message board using my log in details

You may be trying to access the message board using your member account's username and password (these are for signing in to your account only).
    The message board requires a different login name and password.
  • I voted Jay story is good