Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do you keep a diary?

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Do you keep a diary? If so, does it include your thoughts and feelings as well as events? Does it help with your writing? Do you allow anyone else to read it?

I made the mistake of writing yesterday's entry when I was half-asleep. I've been puzzling for hours what the intriguing 'Truth Day' means.
  • No, don't do diaries.  Too much like hard work and the simple truth is, I cannot read my writing, same reason I refuse to use notebooks for thoughts. It would be a complete waste of energy!
  • I kept a diary for years when I was in my teens and 20's (long time ago now!). It was mostly thoughts and feelings.  It definitely helped with my writing.  I would never have let anyone read it - too personal.
    By the way, I looked up Bewrite website - blimey Jay, you're practically famous.
  • i have one, only really kept it since January this year.  It has allsorts in it, thoughts, ideas, where I am with my writing and painting and how my kids are doing.  I've stuck photos and bits in it so hopefully it will make interesting reading in the future.
  • Infamous, Daisy, infamous.
  • I started keeping a diary this summer after being diagnosed with a chronic health problem.  It helps me get my feelings out, without shocking my family with my bad language!  And no, I can't allow anyone to read it!
  • I’ve kept a diary- but around 2002 started to keep a Writers Journal. This I learnt from the great John Steinbeck- at first I thought I was being very pretentious, but soon got the hang of it. It was specifically related to my thoughts/progress regarding my novel  ‘The House of Subadar.’ It was a great way of keeping all the ideas in one place, and has been a great benefit to me and continues to be.

Here is an entry for 13th March 2003.

Had a good day wrote eight pages. I’ve reached 117 pages and tomorrow the next chapter. For a few days thought to send the first three chapters to agents/publishers- but decided against it for now. If some comedian rejects it out of hand, I fear I won’t carry on with it- and writers become published by finishing and writing whole novels!

And yet I can’t help feeling I’m never gonna be published- all this time/work and years wasted. Then I remind my self that this is only the first draft I have to keep going and then add colour, pace, sharpness in the next draft. God this writing life isn’t easy!

PS. The House of Subadar was published fortunately!
  • BTW, I read one of your short stories, Jay.  I think it was on BeWrite.  The 'Last time in Bruges' I think it was.  Enjoyed it.
  • No, only an overnight notebook by the bed in which I keep the odd note for the book or something that struck me during the day - and which I may or may not choose to write a few thoughts in when I wake up.  Half the time, I have such bizarre dreams (yet have some semi-connection with 'real' life) it ends up more of a dream diary.

[Jay, why aren't your books in our Gay and Lesbian section of the Library?  I'll check it out and order them if need be.  It may be that there is a limit to the number of books in the borough.  I do wish you gays wouldn't marginalise yourselves!  Why can't everybody read it?!!  You know my son's gay but tends to avoid gay clubs (apart from those where he dee-jays) as he says he hates the sleazy cruising.  He tends to stick to mixed clubs, where gay and straight may dance for pleasure as they please.  Btw, he now has a lovely long-term boyfriend, a hair-stylist called Jon.... I am longing for a free hairdo! 

But please would you give recommendations as to which of your books (and you know we've bought some) are mainly stocked in libraries.  Cheers x]
  • Yep, I keep a diary and have done for the last ten years. I get one for Christmas every year.

Mine has never helped with my writing and is mostly events and my thoughts on them.

I hate it if anyone picks up my current diary but we've had some great times going through old ones; laughing, reminiscing and sometimes even shedding a tear. It’s actually become an interesting record of our family life and has also come in handy on numerous occasions when someone has wanted to know when they started a new job or dumped a boyfriend.
  • Which book? It depends if you prefer novels or short stories; serious or humorous; long or short; paperback or e-book; or expensive or cheap.

The Dandelion Clock – far and away the best-selling of my books, but opinion polarised. Also the longest and one of the most expensive at £9.80. Serious. Several comments about the amount of tea drunk (and a couple which imply that’s the highlight of the book).

Precipice – a novel plus nine short stories. The novel is serious.

All About Sex – a novel. Funny (I hope) and short. And cheap! (Well, £5.99.) Lots of short scenes, too. And more sex than any of the others.

A Different Kind of Love – a collection of short stories. Favourably reviewed by Gay Times. A mixture of serious and humorous.

The Loss of Innocence – a collection of short stories. A mixture again.

Slubberdegullion – a collection of short stories. Mostly light-hearted. Lots of reviews for individual stories on www.bewrite.net by famous people e.g. Ian McKellen.

You’ll find reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon UK (but beware Amazon UK – they’ve put a review on for Guy Burt’s novel, also entitled The Dandelion Clock. Mine is not set abroad, and doesn’t have a main character called Alex.). You can buy the e-books for £1 each direct from the publisher, and you’ll find excerpts of them at

http://www.bewrite.net/bookshop/excerpts.htm

I've just copied this from somewhere else, so will add a few more bits in a minute - or after Coronation Street.
  • Thanks, Rebecca. I like that one, too. The balloon bit actually happened.
  • Hi, TT. Drat - now I've got to search for something. (OK, not your fault.) Hold on!

Thread: Public Lending Rights

Thread: I'm in the money ...

Not sure why, but 'The Loss of Innocence' seems to be being borrowed more than 'The Dandelion Clock'.

I did notify libraries, but on the last occasion very few replied.

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:UIR1iDeLjbwJ:www.whichbook.net/default.aspx%3Fsearchtype%3D1%26s2%3D4%26s8%3D3%26s9%3D7+%22Jay+Mandal%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=52&gl=uk

www.whichbook.net mentions The Dandelion Clock when talking about Tommy's Tale

I think it's a bit like Amazon - if you don't put them under gay & lesbian, your main readers won't find them and you'll sell/lend out fewer books. I'd be perfectly happy for them to be in the general romance section, but they might get lost.
  • I started writing a sort of journal last year, purely to help me deal with and understand a situation I was in at the time (and still am to an extent - relationship stuff!). It was mainly to try straighten my mind out when I was confused about matters, and to try to decide how to deal with things.  It was quite frequently added to last year, but I've written less in the past 2-3 months. 

I think it has helped with my writing because I'm more aware of the use of words, trying to explain my thoughts to myself.  It's totally private and password protected! :-)
  • Don't write a diary, except for recording appointments. Did try but days went by when I forgot to write anything in it.
    The only time I did keep a regular record was when my boys were born and spent 10 weeks in special care. It was given to all the mothers with babies there for any length of time.
    I can look at it and tell my boys what happened to each of them on a set date.
  • I have kept a diary from the time I was young - 1965 - although some years I was more dedicated than others. For about seven years in the 80's I wrote onto the typewriter rather than into a proper diary, and now regret this, as some of the sheets seemed to have got mislaid. In 2005 I started to write straight onto the PC, and tend to miss days. I think having a blank page already dated up is like having someone nag you to write your diary, even though I find it harder to write longhand than type. But it's so interesting having a stack of books to read through and see in what ways I've changed or stayed the same. Keeping a diary is also a great teacher, when you look back and see what was worrying you at a particular time that either never came to pass or you survived.
  • Yes I keep a diary. Have done so since 1986.  I used it to keep my thoughts, events and have started to use it more and more for keeping notes and thoughts etc for my writing.  With so much going on in your lives, there are lots of little snippets that can be treasures that need to be written down.
  • Thanks for the info, Jay.  I've made a note of that.  It could honestly be worth (forgive this) me buying them for a quid, then donating to the library service - you then get pretty good publicity in this area.
  • The £1 e-books are the versions which are sent to your computer, I think.
  • No, please, I wouldn't advise Romance Section as such - it's full of Mills and Boon, which is not quite what M&B readers are expecting!  But I don't see any problem with you being in the Main Adult Fiction bookshelves. 
  • I have kept a diary since 1987.  I don't let anyone read it.  I put my thoughts and feelings in it as well as interesting (to me) snippets.  I refer to it from time to time for my writing.  I keep notebooks on my bedside table and carry one in my handbag to jot down any ideas or observations.
  • Jay: unless you're Brenda McBride or Guy Burt, then Lewisham Borough doesn't have any of yours.  I'll see if we can order Loss of Innocence and The Dandelion Clock from new.  Cheers.

Meanwhile, Dear Diary, what a day it's been...
  • Hey TT, you a Moody's fan? That was a line from On The Threashold of a Dream. Takes me back and I still have a copy.  Yours truely, Dear Diary. 
  • Opps.  No I don't keep a diary, kept a dairy once, does that count??
  • I started to keep a diary when I was 12 years old. I have approx 40 journals now (at one point I was writing 4 journals a year!). The problem is keeping them away from nosey people!
  • TT - I forgot to mention that a 2nd edition of The Dandelion Clock - and also A Different Kind of Love - is being prepared. No idea when it'll be ready.
  • I don't keep a diary, I think keeping a diary could be dangerous as what happens to it when you die? You could upset someone with your innermost thoughts, if that's what you record there.
  • I keep a diary on computer, it's where I do a little venting of frustration (if I've had a bad day) after work. I don't let anyone else read it, it's personal.
  • One in my bag and one on my desk - can't manage without them and I have to make sure the two synchronise.  They're not for pouring out my soul though - just to make sure I'm where I'm supposed to be on the right day because I forget everything.
  • No, I don't keep a diary. I juat started a book called 'Lost and Found' by Jane Sigaloff - where a diary was left in a New York hotel and found by a guy who then insinuates his way into that person's life. I gave up after 50 pages. i didn't like it but I DID like the idea of it. Would you read a diary you found in a hotel room?
  • No, I don't keep a diary. I just started a book called 'Lost and Found' by Jane Sigaloff - where a diary was left in a New York hotel and found by a guy who then insinuates his way into that person's life. I gave up after 50 pages. i didn't like it but I DID like the idea of it. Would you read a diary you found in a hotel room?
  • "Dear Diary, it was cold out
    side my door
    so many
    people by the score
    rushing around so senselessly
    Yours truly, quite rightly, dear di-a-ry..."

Yes Marc B - I went from skinhead to hippie for a year or two (74/75), then back again!  But you don't stop loving the records or the memories.  Yes the Moodies said it all as far as diaries are concerned...

Great Jay, I'll stick that on the request card to the senior librarian who'll order them.
  • Somebody exploded an H bomb today, but it wasn't anybody I knew.
  • I hoped you'd remember :O)
  • "strolled around the shops
    didn't see anything I liked so
    I didn't buy anything..."
  • Face piles of trials with smiles, it riles
    them to believe that you perceive the web they
    weave...
  • ..And keep on thinking free 

(first line was actually Face pile and piles of trials)
  • Well, not bad from a 30-odd year memory!
  • I think... therefore I am... I think

Of course you are, my bright little star... etc.
  • Do you think MarcB and TT are synchronising theirs?
  • I used to keep a diary and I used to let my partner read it. Then when we split up but we were still living together I found out that she had read it one day and I was furious. So then with my new partner, who keeps a diary herself, we don't read each other's diaries. But now I don't keep it anymore since I started writing a blog. Now I find that my partner doesn't read my blog but every Tom Dick and Harriet does!
  • No, IK, we are just a couple of people who happen to have had some splendid times listening to the Moody Blues On The Threshold of a Dream album!  I can tell you from experience (interesting fact or maybe not :)) that the album lasts for exactly as long as it takes me to massage the Bloke, back and front.  Hmmmm, he's a bit of a size to massage.  But it's a lovely album, still bears up well today - if I get round to finding it again.

Talk about what a day it's been!  My day off has gone from bad to worse.  I'm working tomorrow and will be glad of the rest from all this strife.
  • Hope things improve, TT.
  • Thanks, Jay.  It's been one of those days...
  • Never mind TT, it will NOT get worse just better.
  • Thanks!  It does.  I just started playing March of the Penguins on dvd...
  • I have been doing my best inkeep;ing up a journal or diary off and on recently.  Yes it does have a cathartic calming result, getting your thoughts and feelings out on paper. Writing College actively encourages on to do it. Although sadly owing to distractions, lost my place which I would like to retrieve, I am going over the assignments etc as a bit of practice and building up under my current course in scriptwriting and I have gone back to it as one might say, the diary I mean.  You know there must be telepathy operating on Talkback because I was going to raise just a topic.
  • Great minds ...