Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Books you've just finished reading

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• We've had the books you're reading, and even those you don't like, so how about those you have just finished- whatever type- good or bad, and why?
  • I've just given up reading Ian Rankin's Knots and Crosses.  I gave up because it felt amateurish compared to his newer stuff.  You can tell it was one of his first.

I bought Philippa Gregory's The Boleyn Inheritance, and I am hooked already.  It's been a while since I read a Historical novel but it is brilliant.
  • Terry Pratchett, Wintersmith.  it was good but not one of his best.  i feel perhaps he has gone for quantity rather than quality.  i sometimes feel alittle dissapointed by the ending - i dont like books that are all chase and no ending!  just when you think the hero has reached the goal and then.... nothing!
  • Neil Gaimans - The Dolls House.  Im having a thing for graphic novels at the moment and so have dragged Sandman back out (well actually bought it as the first time I read it it was a friends).  I love his imagination.
  • Mr Golightly's Holiday by Salley Vickers.

Enjoyed it. It had a very philosophical feel. Beautifully written as well, definitely one for summer evenings.  I'm going to read some of her others just as soon as I can.

Rich
  • Just read The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde - thought it was pretty good, though it didn't live up to the hype heaped on it by Richard & Judy. I guessed the murderer's identity pretty early on. Just about to start Nicci French's latest - Losing You.
  • Bill Bryson - The Thunderbolt Kid - very funny
  • The Fire in the Flint by Candace Robb, part of a series. It's set in Edinburgh, in the year 1297. Usually, I enjoy reading books set in this time, this time I didn't get into it for some reason. There were times when I didn't read it for a couple of days and it took a while to get into it again.
  • "Into the Abyss" (Benedict Allen) - Edgy and compulsive but real - he's fearless but bordering on the insane :-)

"I don't know how she does it" (Allison Pearson) - My wife made me read it.  Errr....I loved it - very funny and so well constructed.
  • Iain Banks-Walking on Glass.

Weird book. Good, but weird. His later stuff is better though.
  • Just finished The Boleyn Inheritance, brilliant, absolutely brilliant.  Now reading the new Mark Billingham, been waiting for it to come out in pb.
  • Some Roald Dahl short stories. Recommended for plotting inspiration. Arch exponent of the twist ending.
  • Given up on Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell for the moment, it's just not 'clicking', but have just finished 'Moondust' by Andrew Smith about the men who walked on the moon, which was fascinating - partly because the Moon landings are my earliest memory, partly having been to the Space Centre when we were in Florida last year, but mainly because he really looks at the kind of people they were and what the whole experience did to them.  It's taken me much longer to read than a book would normally do as I found myself reading a bit then mulling it over.
  • I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Mind you I listened on audio as well as reading it so maybe that made it easier. It is a hefty tome and I found it wandered a bit about 2/3 or the way through, but still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Rich
  • I've just finished reading a book called The Fulcanelli Manuscript, by Scott Mariani. It is a modern day thriller with a really interesting and original historical twist! I've read things like The Da Vinci Code, and I was a lot more impressed with this one's quality of writing. A lot of research has gone into it, involving the history of alchemy, nothing to do with witchcraft or Harry Potter! Some really interesting science, and a couple of huge revelations that are based on true history... but I won't spoil the plot here. It manages to be fast paced and erudite at the same time. And I loved the locations, Paris and the south of France. Definitely a book worth reading.
  • I've just finished reading a book called The Fulcanelli Manuscript, by Scott Mariani. It is a modern day thriller with a really interesting and original historical twist! I've read things like The Da Vinci Code, and I was a lot more impressed with this one's quality of writing. A lot of research has gone into it, involving the history of alchemy, nothing to do with witchcraft or Harry Potter! Some really interesting science, and a couple of huge revelations that are based on true history... but I won't spoil the plot here. It manages to be fast paced and erudite at the same time. And I loved the locations, Paris and the south of France. Definitely a book worth reading.
  • Whoops! Sorry I sent that one twice!
  • Just finised Steven Saylor's Roman Blood, I thought it as excellent. I have read most of his "Finder" series which I ike bcause he is a historian and he weaves the story around documented history
  • Mrs Gaskell's 'Life of Charlotte Bront
  • i gave up on northern lights, first book in the "dark materials" series. it was recommended by a friend who is into fantasy, which has never really been my thing. i read the first chapter, and could not get into it at all. she keeps telling me that i should persevere, that it does get better, but i don't want force myself to read something that i just can't be bothered with.
    to be honest, once is start reading something i will usually see it through to the end, come hell or high water (i ploughed through lord of the rings, including the appendices, and even crawled through slimarillion, which is a hard and arduous slog!) but that book just did absolutely nothing for me. i think if i get into the right frame of mind i may have a go at it again in the future, but right now i want to enjoy my reading.
  • I am always cautious recommending anything, food, wine, hotels films and especially books. Tastes differ, that is life
  • I can't get into anything at the mo.  If it's a hard slog, I can't be bothered with the thing.  There are books I feel I 'should' read (as have won awards etc) but really, unless they captivate me from the start, I feel life's too short.  I am researching holiday instead.  With Lonely Planet's Guide to Normandy and Brittany.
  • The Abbey of Bec in Normandy at one time owned most of West Middlesex and have a guest wing. I have lived there as a monk. If you stay in Normandy ake sure you sample the apple sherry
  • just given up on Weave world by clive barker....dont know why, think it got a bit too much. like The Book of Lost things.

i might stick to F Scott Fitzgerald...much more crisp maybe.?
  • i tried to read weaveworld years ago (my dad has it in his little collection) but i think maybe i was too young and didnt get what was going on. i was about 13 or 14 at the time, and cannot even remember the gist of the story. i put the book down, and never picked it up again.
  • thanks sianiesaunt!! i thought it was just meee! my other half has read it 7 times!!?? including once when he had the flu and was delirious...I wish he'd tell me where the 'good' bits are, I'd skip the rest then. it must have some value, people still buy it, but for me, its weary
  • SA dont worry about it a friend bought them for me as I love fantasy.  I pointed out that they were written for children and read as such.  I found it really hard going, never read the others.
  • my dad has read weaveworld a few times, and it's one of his old favourites, but i can't be bothered trying to read it again. it's just the way it goes sometimes with books.
  • Similar thread: Michael Tolliver Lives
    Similar thread: Books you’ve just finished reading
    Similar thread: What are you reading now?

See last thread for review of book.
  • The 'Northern Lights' (Dark Materials Trilogy) was not written for children, only marketed that way. Pullman had no specific age in mind. I found all three books riveting & unputdownable, as did husband and teenage daughters, but there you go.

I've just finished reading a big tome on Paula Rego, by John McEwen. Biography & pictures. I've always loved her work, but knowing more about her life helped understand the content better. Very accessible writing, pleasantly free of silly art critic jargon.

Also just finished Meg Wolitzer's 'The Position'. Great writing, but ultimately another typical American tale of an unusual family, covering six lives across ca 40 years.

Also just finished Karen Armstrong's 'A Short History of Myth', which is exactly what it says, no more, no less.

I always have several books on the go at the same time, usually one fiction and two to three non-fiction.
  • Just finished reading two books about Robert Owen, who managed New Lanark in the early 1800s. Was reading them for an article that I'm writing (due Monday! yikes! almost finished!).
    The one book was very easy to read and the historian had a sense of humour; the other book was a bit drier.
  • Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman - thought provoking
  • Like Anyanka I usually have two or three books on the go.  I've recently finished "Honor and Evie" by Susannah Bates (gave up about three  quarters of the way through though), "101 Healing Stories for Kids and Teens" by George Burns (I had a desire to find out about story therapy which fascinates me) and, for work, "Time to Talk" by Alison Schoeder.  I haven't selected my next books yet.
  • I've ordered the first Falco story by Lindsey Davis.
    I caught a couple of episodes of it serialised on BBC7 or Oneword Radio a short time ago, so decided to read it before embarking on any of the others.
  • Two anthologies:
    The Great Writing website anthology
    Wondrous Web Worlds 4

...nice to see how short story writers' styles differ so much!
  • Just finished "The Lost Army of Cambyses" by Paul Sussman. Enjoyed it so much am now reading the next in the series "The Last Secret of the Temple". It's what I would describe as an intelligent holiday read.