Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Michael Tolliver Lives

edited June 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Michael Tolliver Lives - the new book about 28 Barbary Lane from Armistead Maupin whose Tales of the City books won him the Big Gay Read. To read the article, hightlight, copy and paste the following address:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article1937813.ece

If you read one 'gay' book, make it one by Armistead Maupin. Or one by ME! And, yes, it is perfectly true: he did inspire me. He wrote what I wanted to write.
  • There was an excellent interview with Armistead Maupin in the Guardian a week or two ago as well(might be available online too?). Anyway, whilst I'd heard of him and his famous Tales of the City books, I've not yet read any - but the article and the new book have inspired me to seek him out next time I'm book shopping. So thanks for the reminder Jay!
  • Just found the interview on this website:

books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,1872118,00.html

I was going to post the whole thing, but caught sight of a word that Webbo might not approve of!
  • There's also in piece in the online Times at the moment.
  • Armistead Maupin is one of THE best creators of characters that I've ever read. The first 3 books in the "Tales of the City" series are superb.

Mrs. Madrigal was always my favourite. Oh, to have had a landlady like that when I was a student...
  • This is the link
    :http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article1937813.ece
  • I must have missed the link! (Sorry, Carol, couldn't resist it.)
  • Glad to see your sense of humour is back Jay.
    Obviously AM is doing the rounds of the book sections at the moment.
  • Think he's over here - I think I remember seeing he was at a book festival. I was going to ask my partner to get his book for my birthday, but it's still in hardback.
  • Now is the time for a big run of book festivals.Our local one, Lowdham, starts the end of this week for two weeks.
  • Someone who should be canonised has just sent me 'Michael Tolliver Lives'.

Only problem is I haven't been reading much lately, although the writing's jogging along nicely, touch wood.

I'll let you know what I think of it.
  • We wait with baited breath...
  • Oh, blow, I can't bait my breath for very long :O)
  • What are you using - worms? Maggots? Flies?
  • It's when you put the hook through your tongue that's the hard bit.
  • Similar thread: Michael Tolliver Lives
    Similar thread: Books you’ve just finished reading
    Similar thread: What are you reading now?

See last thread for review of book.