Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Chapterhouse Course

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I saw from another message that TT did the above proofreading course.  Would you mind, please, telling me if it was any good?  Also, were you able to get freelance work having done this course?  I've thought about doing it, but have never met anyone who has first-hand experience.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
  • I did the course, got my certificate, offered my services to the company I now run, (I was writing for them at the time) and ended up as copy editor, then editor. So, who knows where such a course may take you??? I can't tell you, though, whether it is worthwhile in terms of freelance work, I never got that far.
  • You seem to have fell on your feet dorothyd, well done
    I also did the course, most companies not interested the ones that were required considerable experience
    Found it a total waste of money, haven't used it as I have not been given the opportunity through lack of experience, the usual Catch 22 senario
    Only good thing that came out of it for me was that it made me more aware of mistayks, sorry mistakes
  • Thank you both for your very helpful comments.
  • I did it, and have been a freelance proofreader since last September.  I have only a single client at the moment, but that seems (I hope) soon about to change, and I'll get more work.

The key is to persevere, I'm afraid - out of a hundred phone calls you might get one publisher that says yes.  But you might not.  It might take 150 or 200.  But if you have confidence in yourself then it's worth not giving up.  I enjoy proofreading.  It's tedious work, and harder than people might think because you're making your eyes work hard all the time (it's soporific, so plenty of coffee at the ready) - BUT - I've learnt some interesting stuff since I started the work. 

Worth it?  Yes.
  • I did the proofreading course with Chapterhouse back in 1995 - went to Exeter for the day to do it. It was worth it because I got a lot of work within the first year and paid back the cost of the course very quickly. The only reason I'm not doing it now is because I had other things to focus my energy on. When I did it I was unemployed and it gave me some good experience in the publishing industry and also the confidence. You have to keep pushing and chasing people, keep on sending your CV to them every six months or so as they will assume that you're not doing it any more. As with a lot of freelance work people come and go. Also this was my first business and I learned about keeping accounts and marketing, loads of stuff. All stemming from the Chapterhouse course but also you have to work at it and can't expect it to just fall into your lap. As with most things in life you only get out of it what you put in.
  • Thanks to TP and JH, too.  This is very helpful.  I have been self employed in the past and am self employed (unpaid!) at the moment, so I know how difficult it can be and that it takes loads of hard work to get anywhere.  So that won't come as a surprise!  It's good to know that generally you all seem to think the Chapterhouse course is a good one.  Thanks again.
  • That wasn't Poppy, was it?
  • Well spotted Jay!  I didn't notice that I was logged on as someone else!