Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Teen Guide Layout

Comments

• Hi everyone...a little help please. I've written a teenagers guide to creating a happier life for yourself and it is almost ready to be sent off into the big wide world...but I need to sort something out presentation wise. I have seven sections eg Family Happiness, Emotional Happiness and I have a whole bunch of website contacts associated with each section, but should I put them all at the end of the book, or after each section?
  • Hi MM,
    I think it can work well either way and have seen it done both ways.
    Having it all at the back keeps it traditional and easy for referencing if you are looking something up some time after the initial reading.
    On the other hand, keeping references together with the relevant section does make it more likely that the references will be used while the topic is fresh in the reader's mind.
    I assume you've done your research into the market and seen how similar books are set out? Is there a trend for one way or the other that you could follow?
  • If the book can be used to dip into, like you want a specific section, then having those details at the end of the chapter would be better.
  • You can cross-reference in the index.  Personally, I prefer the websites mentioned at a final section because that is the way I tend to look through a book but it's up to you.  Either way is helpful.
  • Would it be better to embed separate text boxes into the text, to highlight the information - the way they do in magazines?
  • You could have the page arranged so that information relevant to a particular section was put in what they call side bars.  Makes the info accessible and breaks up blocks of text - as magazines do in articles
  • Amboline and Betsie I like those ideas. But when I sent it away to I state to the publisher that is how I want it set out or do I do it myself?
  • You could perhaps suggest that you see this as a modern book for teenagers, that could be set out in a format that teenagers are familiar with, and are used in (name such publications- books or magazines) as these could be possible markets for the publisher- and improve your chances of acceptance. Then give brief descriptions, possibly.