Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Editing Draft 2 - Agents?

Comments

• Right.  It's driving me barmy.  I have a lot of stuff here to deal with (yes, I know, bad grammar there).  Anyway, the point is: when do you send stuff off to agents?

I've got the book into second draft but feel I need advice on some parts.  What do other people do?   I feel I need to speak to an agent at the very least, now that it's come this far.  But I am very wary now that I work in library and there is nothing of this kind on the shelves. 

I think I'll be rejected over and over because the background to novel is a bit different (UK drag-racing).

Dorothy, you may be able to give some advice but I just dont know where to go other than the top agents.  I always go for the top. 
  • Tessa, you can't ask an agent for advice until they take you on and they won't take you on until what you write is right.  What you need is a criticism service which will go over the book for you and find its good and bad points. That costs money, that's the problem, but is the only way, outside of a good writing circle or a friend who writes who has little to do at the moment and can do it for you!

What do we do, keep revising and working and revising, or at least I did, before the spirit authors took over, until it is absolutely right, and then try marketing it. The fact it is very different is its strength.  Top agents are the ones with the fullest lists, that's another problem. They will reject on the grounds they are not taking on new clients at the moment and I think, to some degree, they are not fobbing people off, if they have too many writers, they can't do justice to them all, can they?  I would keep revising and working on the book yourself and not send a word out until it is ready. Otherwise you could get seriously caught out. What if someone said yes, send the whole lot, and it isn't ready? It makes you look less than professional.  Unless it is a non fiction proposal, it is always best to complete the work before submitting.
  • You must get it as near to perfect as you can before you try agents or publishers. It is so much easier for them to say no... Only when they feel they can really market the work (that goes for agents and publishers), are they in the least bit interested.
  • Hi, I agree with others, it has to be as spot on as you can possibly get it before you send it anywhere.
    Good luck
  • Hi, TT. Congratulations on getting so far. I agree with Dorothy, but I don't really know any services so can't recommend anyone. Best of luck!
  • I'm sure I remember a few members here, who have used critique services. Put a request out and they may be able to make some suggestions.
  • The better critique services are well worth the money, and I would specify where you want particular advice. Agents' critiques, in my experience, are broad and contradictory and just leave you feeling even more confused.
  • Yes, you should have it critiqued. If you send it to an agent and it's not quite ready, they'll just reject it and you'll have wasted a good opportunity. WM do a critique, but maybe you should try a lit consultancy like Cornerstones or Hilary Johnson. It's costly, but well worth it.You get an objective assessment from a professional and that's what you need. Good luck.
  • Thank you for all that advice.  It's been very helpful.  OK, after this Sitting Back Period, I'll carry on with 2nd draft, get it as near perfection as I can, then make enquiries.  Will definitely use critique service; sounds worth using.  Trouble with me is that I was used to simply sending short stories off to magazine lit editors and stories would be published.  This is a whole different thing.  Again, thanks xx 
  • I think a second draft (especially by a new novelist) is still in it's very early stages.  I'm on my very last draft of my novel and after printing it out it's like seeing it with fresh eyes, it is riddled with grammar and style problems.  If I were to guess at how many drafts it has taken me to get this far I would say 8-10 (about six of them was me actually learning how to write a novel).  To put that figure into perspective, I have been writing this book since March 2001.

Don't fall into the trap I did for a long time and become obsessed with getting published.  Take it easy and enjoy the journey, that is what I am planning on doing.
  • On the other hand TT, if you've never had a rejection there must be something immediately engaging about your writing so it might be worth testing the water with a couple of agents before paying for a critique.