Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Times - commonly misused words

edited September 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2317177.ece

Commonly misused words.
  • Loved your comment at the end of the article, Jay!
    Having said that, thanks for this. I missed it and found it interesting enough to bookmark for in depth reading later!
  • Thanks, Clarissa. It's from the short story, 'Slubberdegullion'.
  • Yes, I liked the comment too Jay.
    I've saved the piece to read in detail later. Thanks.
  • The Reader's Digest Mag has a regular feature in which it gives a word likely to be misused and then offers four choices for its meaning. Here ar a couple from this months -
    PARSE -
    a: to slice
    b: debate
    c: analyse
    d: read

TANGENT -
    a: straight line
    b: sharp smell
    c: temptation
    d: prolific Talkbacker
  • Sorry Jay, I didn't get as far as your comment before I was reminded of the Reader's Digest thingy.

I seem to remember you mentioning the word 'quite' in another thread.
  • OK.

Highlight web address (drag mouse?)
    Press copy
    Go to the box for www. addresses
    Press paste
    Press enter/return

Et voila!

If you have any trouble with the above, just shout.
  • The web-site is saying it's busy so I'll try later.
    (Actually, I'll rephrase that because the site isn't saying anything - it's a web-site - it doesn't speak.)
  • When I was trying to post the tracking cookie info I kept getting cannot display the page messages, but could see the main list okay.
    I logged out and back in.
  • I got that the website was busy when I tried earlier but I just got there and had a look. Very interesting. Liked your comment, Jay and loved the one from the guy in Germany, very clever indeed.
  • Ha ha, Isabella, I think I am ALL those things at various times.... the sharp smell probably occurs first thing in the morning after my shower when there is a slice of Sure crossed with my Scent of the Day (often amber oil, Anais Anais or Clinique's Aromatics Elixir) in the air around me :O)

You are so succinct, Jay... and so right. 
  • PS Jay - it just occurred to me that, in my world, when Paul (my fiance) remarks to Steve (his mate and customer) that his car "is f****d, mate", he means that it's quite beyond repair...