Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Odd one out

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• The Famous Five.
    The Joy of Six.
    The Secret Seven.
  • Why are you picking on The Joy of Six?  I quite like it!
  • When Eight Bells Toll

(What about One to Four?)
  • The Ninth Legion?
  • To The Nines (Janet Evanovitch) .. OK I geddit now.
  • How did you know, TT!
  • Have I missed the point of this thread?!!
  • me to Jenny
  • It started as a little joke about which book Enid Blyton didn't write and, like Topsy, grew. It wasn't necessarily a numbers thing - I said odd 'one' out out of politial correctness.

I wonder if the keyboard needs cleaning. But that's another thread ...
  • What about The Adventurous Four series...???
  • Just call me Mystic Tessa, Jay ;O)
  • OK, for the nth time I explain this to people - durrrr.  Turn the keyboard upside down and give it a good bash against desk/table/whatever.  That usually does the job.  Sometimes a good clean between the keys on the keyboard with a cotton bud dipped in water then squeezed well does the job.  Surround your "C" key!!
  • Why the 'C' key?
  • Because his "C" wasn't working, Carol!
  • TT - couldn't you put it in the washing machine with a low spin speed?!!
  • The Famous Five.
    The Joy of Six.
    The Secret Seven.

Usn't wun of those a Nuw Zulnd unstrction menual?
  • Sorry. Just realised that unless you know what a New Zealand accent sounds like, you probably won't understand a word of that.
  • Yes, IG, it's obviously a plug for some old book about you-know-what in NZ.  Jay has some similar title which we've all obviously read and memorised :O)
  • I'm intrigued IG. Do NZ's pronounce their i's as e's, and their e's as i's?
  • Carol, they just have a strange way of cutting vowels down to an even shorter sound if that's possible. People say the Aussie accent is similar but you can spot a Kiwi at ten paces by getting them to say 'Fish and Chips'. It comes out sounding sort of like, Fsh n Chps. Their a's DO kind of sound like e's though.

This explanation isn't helful at all, is it? Thought not. You'd have to hear it for yourself.
  • I can imagine IG, but thanks for trying to clarify for me.
  • I once worked in the same office as a NZ girl called Pat.

She pronounced is as Pet. Apparently when it was said in an English accent, to her it sounded like Paht!