Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

QI book and other gems

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• There are limited quantities of 'The Book of General Ignorance' on the Postscript website for £4.99 plus postage.
    A hardback copy of 'The Falls' by Ian Rankin' for £5.99.
    It has interesting books on a big variety of subjects, quite a few reference type. And I've found some really useful history books-both ancient and modern subjects.
    www.psbbooks.co.uk
  • Get them free from the library unless you want to keep them :O)  (Yes, they should give me the PR job)
  • Well you may have better libraries down your way TT.
    Ours, if they don't have it, you can request it. If it is in another library within the system you can request it and pay a fee, then you receive notification when it arrives.
    They have a group get together and decide which books they will be buying.
    The basement is a goldmine of old books, but you have to do a trawl of the computer search system to find out if there is anything that might be useful/relevent.
  • Carol, thanks for the info re PostScript books - I've had a look at the site and there seem to be some real bargains! 
  • Carol, our libraries can request from even the Brit Library, or anywhere in the country.  Seems mad to me that your area is so limited.
  • We can request books from the British Library, but it is very expensive to do so. The last time I borrowed one (three years ago)it cost me £3, and I know the charges have been increased since then.
    I find it's more cost efficient to get a second-hand copy or a reprint if they've been done- then I can refer to it whenever I need, rather than hope I made enough notes when I had to borrow it.
  • Neat point.  Yes, I was tending to think of what happens in the London area.  Sorry :O(
  • This is an interesting point TT, what are other library systems like around the country.
    I know Dorothy has a poor library, from her lack of.
    What about other Talkbackers?
    Do you even use your local library? Is it due to the stock they hold or times they open- I know this is an issue in smaller libraries.
  • Honestly, Carol, at our library, we can order for our customers from ANYwhere in the country - we usually find places fairly close to home but I know I've had to order from places in the shires.  I'm under the impression that EVERY library can order from the British Library.  You might have to wait a while, until books/items get returned but the essential thing is that you can order most things.  There are some things not on the list.  If it were me, I'd buy second-hand from Amazon.
  • I do buy quite a few books I want for reference that way. But if I find one of them has been reprinted then I'll usually buy that- unless it's been altered out of all recognition- as it will be a paperback, and the original is likely to be a hardback and take up more space.
    I know our library did once approach another out of county library- because I'd checked with them and knew they had the book I needed- but that library would not loan it out to ours.
    I think that's why our library usually goes straight to the British Library if it isn't in the county.