Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wordwise in the Times

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Hopefully we will know a lot of this already, but you will find it interesting.
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2317510.ece

Do you think that it says something about general standards that they've put this section in the Times?
  • No one wants to answer your question, Carol.
  • Not sure if that doesn't actually answer the question Stan.
  • Carol,

Not quite sure what you mean by the question -
    Do you think that it says something about general standards that they've put this section in the Times?

Interesting article albeit a bit depressing. As it is, so many uni students today no longer know how to write a whole sentence without a number of spelling mistakes. This sort of predigested Agatha Christie won't help matters. All the more puzzling as Agatha Christie is hardly a demanding writer. I coulad almost (only almost :)) understand this for  a weighty nineteenth century novel but Hercule Poirot?
  • Clarissa, the Times has always come across as being the paper read by the well educated- not saying that if you don't you aren't well educated, times have changed.
    So you might expect the readers to be more literate and know a lot of that stuff.
    Perhaps they are trying to reach a wider audience.
    Perhaps I'm stereotyping.
  • I've always wanted to do a joke about tripping over a newspaper - 'falling on hard Times', you ould say.
  • Jay - Oh the temptation ... !