Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Subscriptions

KayKay
edited August 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Since I renewed my membership to the magazines in April I have been receiving two copies of both magazines each month. Good vaue - but extra for my paper collection bin!
    I first wrote to Warners distribution explaining the problem and sent them the two postal covers with TWO DIFFERENT membership numbers. Soon afterwards I received a letter telling me my membership subscription was due for renewal. Obviously a mistake so I wrote to Collette Dimbleby, Subscriptions Manager at Bourne and asked that she write to me or E-mail me with the correct due date. I received no reply and now I have received another letter saying I will receive no further copies of the magazines as my subscription has terminated.
    I suspect an error was made when I renewed my subscription and it was entered as a new member and I will continue to receive copies - but I would like to really know when the subscription runs out as I believe I renewed it in advance not to miss any issues.
    Has anybody else had similar problems?
    Incidentally tried to E-mail Webbo with this complaint but his link didn't work! And can anybody tell me if their is a link on the site to E-mail Leeds. I know the info is in the magazine - but....
    Feeling extremely frustrated - phone calls from France to England are expensive! Sorry to maon.
  • Similar but different!

I was paying my direct debit but not receiving the mags. The fact it took me two months to notice led me to cancel them.
  • I've always found that a phone call is the most effective way of getting a subscription query sorted.
    It may be costly, but might be the quickest way to get the situation resolved.
    Did you try e-mailing Webbo from your own system, rather than the link on the Talkback section. [email protected] .
  • Hello Kay,
    I've passed the details to our subscriptions department, who should be contacting you directly.
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • Out of interest does everyone here subscribe to these mags? I never have and wondered if I was alone!
  • I've just paid for my subscription - I hope I get the mags! What date do you normally receive them?
  • Me, I used to and really enjoyed reading them but now find I just don't have the time to spare.

I have about four years worth sitting in my attic - some unopened. I'll get round to them one day.
  • I took out a sub last year and fortunately, they've always arrived in good time. I've never had a problem.
  • I've subscribed to Writers News since I first started going to writing classes - around 1992 - when the WEA tutor recommended it. The magazines have always arrived on time.

I suppose any big organisation has the occasional hiccup!
  • I've subscribed since the magazine started x years ago. I have the 10 year anniversary paperweight on my desk at work, waiting for the 20 year one to join it! I read the magazines when they arrive, then pass them on to a friend in South Africa. That does two things: saves them piling up here and lets him know I think about him, every month.  It's odd, we don't correspond very much but I know he is there and he knows I am here and there is a comfort in that knowing.
  • I've been getting it since the end of 2000 I think. Always turns up on time. Wouldn't be without it.
  • I never expected such a quick response from both Webbo and Collette. The problem is solved now and I have E Mailed Collette to thank her. Thanks for all your comments - I agree all big organsiations have hiccups and it is good to know that this one, at least, resolved the problem quickly.
    As an added comment: I think I must have been one of the first people to subscribe to WN and WM - I used to live near Leeds then, long before I came here to France which was 16 years ago. I read every word in every issue, even though I am really too busy to do that and ought to be writing instead.
    The subject matter always enthralls me; the problem is following up on all the leads I find in there.
  • I don't subscribe yet, but with starting University I think I will.  Can't live without the magazine so I might as well subscribe and save a few pennies.  I really need to start building up some writing credits now, and WN seems to be a good source for markets and competitions.
  • I've subscribed for a few years and read them cover to cover - usually carted round in my handbag and catch up with reading when waiting in queues or docs etc.  Helps to keep in touch with what's going on.
  • I've been subscribing for a couple of years and never had a missed issue or any problems.  I tend to sit and flip through writers news first and highlight anything that I think will be useful.  Then of an evening I settle down with the magazine and a cuppa.
  • I subscribe and it is the best thing I have ever done, although I do flit through them and never read them from cover to cover in one sitting.

I can't waste time reading when I could be writing.That's my philosophy.
  • Robin, if you read the articles by published writers, you will see they all say read and read and read! I liken it to food. Without food we can't live, without reading we can't write. I do both. All the time.