Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Interview with Darren Shan in the Telegraph

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Under his full name of Darren O'Shaughnessy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/08/25/boosh125.xml
  • He is a succesful kids writer Dora. Stories about vampires and such like.Our kids are too old for the target readership , but I have a niece who has read one of his books. She was not keen , she seemed to find it too scary.I am unsure if he writes for adults also.Thanks for the link Carol I will read that tonight.
  • Liam loves them although he found it a little unsettling at first as some of the language used and that the bloodshed is quite gory.  But once he got into the swing of things he loves them.
  • What age group is he aimed at? Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of the kids' stuff nowadays is far too morbid and violent? I know that the fairytales were often like that, but they were rooted in less enlightened times. I certainly never read anything to my kids that I thought would give them nightmares. Maybe that was being overprotective, I don't know.
  • I agree with Allie.
    I think there is too much horror fiction around for children like this. Who knows what effect this is having on young minds.
  • There was a short piece on one of the tv text items today, and it said that Edexcel(exam bods) had noticed how many of the creative writing stories by candidates produced in their exams were very violent, and the favourite title was 'The Assasin'.
    When I was in the bookshop last week, and asked Dane if he was interested in reading one of Shan's books. He looked at the cover and title and said 'no, not my thing.'
    I think they would be too gory.
  • When I was at school in the seventies, early eighties we all read and wrote horror.  Alien, The Fog, The Howling oh and all the truly dreadful Guy N Smith books were all passed around, we all loved a good horror movie and would try to get into eighteens when we weren't.  I really don't think children today are much different in their tastes, some kids like gore, some don't. 
  • Reading NC's post reminded me of borrowing John Wyndham books off my sister as a child so I stuck his name into Google...

He's been dead since 1969!!!

I wonder if I would still enjoy his books today. I'm not particularly into science fiction but I noted he described his work as Logical Fantasy.
    That sounds like something I'd enjoy so I'm off to rediscover the late John Wyndham and memories of my childhood.
  • Thanks Carol!! Ohhh, I;ve just started Lord Loss...and wow, powerful stuff. I mean, hidiously powerful stuff. Even I, as a morbid goth who likes nothing better than macarbe and morbid tales was shocked.