Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who would play your characters?

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Who would play your characters?

I think this may have been raised before, but I couldn't find it. And there are newcomers, with new books and stories.

So tell us!
  • Colin Firth.

And me.
  • Sorry Jay, couldn't resist. I'm writing romantic fiction so CF is always fresh in my mind. As for a heroine, I like 'quirky' people in real life but I can't think of any actresses I like at the mo. 
  • Funnily enough, when I first thought up my principal character, I had this actress's face in mind.  Her name is Sarah Wayne Callies.  She plays the doctor in the series 'Prison Break' and the short lived 'Tarzan'(where she's a redhead and the perfect image for my character Susan). 
  • You beat me to it, IG!I`d write a book specially so it can be filmed and I`d insist on him playing the main character and I`d have to be at the studio every day, wouldn`t I, checking they got it all right....
  • Come on, Jay, you are always asking us questions without revealing what you think about the subject!  So who would YOU choose?

I've got a load of them on my list (quite a large cast): so....... Keira Knightley; Kylie Minogue; Julie Walters; Whoopi Goldberg; Judi Dench; that woman who was in "A Jewel in The Crown" and I can never remember her name; Barbara Windsor; Diana Rigg, Jordan - with smaller endowments; Posh Spice - who thinks she's great but isn't (all of these at various earlier stages of their lives).

Then we have the blokes: Bob Hoskins; John Force (google him, it's worth it); the bloke who played Eddie Yates in Coronation Street years back; Wesley Snipes; Colin Firth; that bloke who was the lead in Gregory's Girl; Eddie Murphy; Steve McQueen; Tom Cruise; and Sandy Gall, who used to read the news.  Again, all at different stages of their lives.

Goddit?!!  I've got the kind of cast old Tolstoy used to deal with.

Come on Jay, who do you imagine to be your characters?
  • Hmmm. Don't get to see many films nowadays, and my television watching seems limited to Coronation Street ... so Antony Cotton and - drum roll - Sir Ian McKellen!
  • Ah!  I forgot Ian McKellen (OMG he would so suit one of my characters) and also I have Alan Rickman, old Snape in Harry Potter films but he's brilliant on stage.  Now, Rickman can do ANYthing.  He's one of my crowd of characters in the book.  A top one.  However, he looks nothing like Snape.

Anyway, glad you told us.  I can see that McKellen is a great base for many a story :O)
  • Keira Knightly . . . and me, obviously. Phwoar!! You shouldn't have started this Jay. Someone turn the cold shower on please!
  • If I ever manage to finish my thriller, get it published and turned into a film - a lot of wishful thinking here - I would like Brad Pitt to play the hero but I haven't a clue who would play the heroine.
  • It would have to be a young, brooding Oliver Reed.

I met him once...you should never come face to face with your screen idols.
  • Adam Rickett?
  • I'd like a young but British Winona Ryder-type to play my 14-year-old heroine.  Her grandmother is tiny and very dithery; unfortunately Katie Johnson of the 'Ladykillers' original is no longer around for that. Hardest to cast would be the mad toddler who gets all the best lines...
  • I'd like Dino out of Eastenders to play the protaganist in my teenage book and Seddon out of that school programme (is it Waterloo Road ?) to play the baddie.
  • Charley Webb(Debbie Dingle in Emmerdale) for the herone
  • Anyanka, can I nick Winona for my pale, raven haired apprentice witch?  Hey, this thread is inspiring me.  Now I want a bearded and short Mark Addy (Full Monty, A Knight's Tale and plenty others) for my dwarf and a blond Eric Stoltz for my aspiring hero.   
  • Kateyanne - you've reminded me. The boy who plays the son of the man who 'bought' Waterloo Road school. So I must watch something other than Coronation Street after all!
  • My son (who's a serial blonde) has been compared to a young David Walliams in his play for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and Brighton Fringe.  Makes me laugh.  But then, if I was actually writing about my son, David Walliams would do the job brilliantly.
  • Samantha Janus - loverly
  • 19th June 2009

Stirling started a discussion about plays &/or films of your book(s).
  • This was prompted by a recent post on another thread.
  • Mmmnn; lovely Simon Baker from The Mentalist would have to combine (Jay?) with lovely Ben Fogle to play my character (me)'s love interest. Except I don't want to be an actress. Damn.
  • WE haven't seen Mad Doctor Dribble for a long time. Ah - this is the wrong thread.
  • Eliza Dusku, Billie Piper, and Aidan Turner always end up in mine
  • David Tennant ...definintely DT.

Who else? Jamie Bamber would fit a few.
  • Actually I'd like to see David Tennant play the villian that's in my novel...
  • He n'alf play a good villian. I found out we actually have the Nicci French novel 'Secret Smile' on the bookcase in the kitchen - one day I may very well read it...I've seen the adaptation they did on ITV with David Tennant as Brendan in it. He does bad too good :P