Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A technology issue Windows Vista - windows XP transfer problem

Comments

• Hiya- i hope this is in the right place :)

I just wondered whether anyone would be able to help me with this problem I'm having when i try to transfer word documents from Windows Vista over to word documents on Windows XP.
    When i try to send a document over via my USB memory stick (or any otehr item) windows Xp doens't recognise it- and when i try to open it with taht word, no matter what languge I set it at, it just appears as encoding.
    looking ove rteh internet for an answer hasn't been very fruitful either.

You see, I got a new laptop in preparation for me going to university, and i dutifully put all the chapters and various doo-hikeys of my novel onto my new laptop that uses Vista. Now I've written a few more chapters i'd like to copy them back onto my old home computer (the one with XP), so that it can act as a harddrive and I can add to them at that computer too.
    -but-
    It refuses to work.

I suppose the only alternative is plugging the big printer to my laptop should I wnat to print them out, and just waiting utnil I get an internet connection on my laptop before I can ask for critique on bits of writing.

Anyone got any tips on how to get over the vista-to-Xp problem?
  • If you convert your document to word pad and save it on your memory stick, then on your laptop transfer the manuscript from wordpad to Word.

I know this happens to me, I still use Works and if I want to use a different computer to print with Word, this is the only way I can do it.  Failing that, I've heard of people saving it to email.

Which University are you going to?.  I'm going to Stirling University to study English Studies and Scottish Literature.
  • Avoid Vista. My partner bought his wife a laptop which had Vista installed and the local firm uninstalled it and replaced it with the more sensible XP.  Vista simply isn't compatible with 3/4 of the programmes and files, a crafty move on Microsoft's part to make us all upgrade.  Fortunately some of us have found a way round it ...
  • I'd heard there were issues in these areas, and while it still has these problems I would not go to Vista.
  • This is so useful. I'm thinking of buying myself a new computer soon as I'm fed up with carting my laptop for work back and forth.
  • You need to save the documents in the earlier format.

In Word 2007, go to 'Save as' and then down at the bottom of the  dialogue box that appears there's an option to 'Save file as type'. Choose 'Word 97-2003 format' (or words to that effect) and Bob's your uncle.

You can then save it to a memory stick and transfer it to the older PC.

Hope that helps.

Richard
  • I've just had to buy a new laptop Dorothy and Carol, and unfortunately if you want a new laptop you have no choice but to buy Vista.  XP has been phased out, although accessories are still compatible.
  • yes, but it can be taken off, as our local firm did, and replaced with a genuine XP. Jill would not have been able to cope with Vista and I want her to edit for me, so the files need to be compatible.  Solution, either buy second hand laptop or get the company to remove Vista as part of the deal to sell it. That's what I will do when I buy next year - but chances are I will get the local company to build me one themselves. Then they can load onto it the anti virus they licence to us which updates several times a day.
  • I heard that for Vista you need a new computer, as current ones don't have the space for it and all the things you do.
    Is that true?
  • No it's not true. It depends.

There's a program you can download from Microsoft that will test whether your PC is up to it.

It's true that your PC would need to be fairly up to date with a large disk, decent processor and a reasonable amount of memory but they can be upgraded. You need to do a bit of homework beforehand though to make sure it will work with what you already have.

Against that though i'd say that if you have an XP PC and it was working ok, I wouldn't bother upgrading. Wait until you need a new PC.

Richard
  • I considered a second hand computer, but decided against it.  It's not worth the risk.  I just want something to write essays on, I'm not attached to a certain software.  My first computer had Windows ME on it, and I've just upgrade as computers went bust.

I use Works anyway, and I will be uploading that on it.  As long as I can type and print, I'm happy.

Saying that, I know people who still use 95.  Anyway The University will have upgraded to Vista, I think I should at least know my way around it.  The last thing I need is the eighteen year olds treating me as an old fogey because I can't use the computers properly.
  • Dragontamer - I have 2 PCs - one XP and one Vista. I have no trouble moving data between them. As RichardS said, it depends on the versions of Word you have on them. I bought Word 2007 which allows you to load on three PCs in your home. I also have Word 1997 on the XP one as it was included in the operating system. If I need to (which is often the case for online entries), I can do the "Save As" to save a Word 2007 as a 1997 version. You get some messages about losing formatting, but that's never happened as obviously a MS doesn't have weird and wonderful formats.

The only problems I've had so far (touch wood) with Vista and Word 2007 is learning how to use them. Things I used often in XP and Word 1997 are hidden in strange places in the new versions. I also find the help facility rather weak.
  • It's hard looking for a new pc/laptop now that DOESN'T have Vista.  I'm waiting for it to settle down for a while before I go using it.  However, I understand what you mean as I used to have the same problem with transferring old Wordperfect 5.1 files to Windows.  There is a way but it took me a while to find it.
  • Agree Richard, I can't see any point changing to Vista until a new computer is needed.