Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

PHOTO'S - ADVICE NEEDED PLASE

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi Everyone,

I am trying my hand at writing magazine articles.  I want to send photo's to accompany an article but i'm not sure what the best way is to go about it.

The article is about tennis fashions at Wimbledon over the years, so I obviously don't have pics from years ago, although I do have my own shots from my visits there of the past four years.

Can someone please advise me the best route to go down - I can find plenty of old photo's on the internet and in books, but i'm worried about copyright and all that stuff.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lynn
  • Have you tried contacting the Lawn Tennis Association?  They might help.
  • Hi Poppy,
    No, I hadn't thought of that,
    Thanks,
    Lynn
  • Photos from books I would say was breaching copyright. Remember, any part of a book, apart from a brief sentence or two for review or reference, belongs to the author for 75 years - I keep running into this problem with the British Library.  You may have to consult a Picture Library which will cost money.
  • Hi Dorothy,
    Thanks for the advice. I find the copyright thing a real problem, but then again i'm sure everyone else has the same problem.

Lynn
  • Hi Skip
    Dororthyd is perfectly right. All photo's/pictures etc already in print are copyright protected whether in book or electronic - website - form
    Follow the below for Royalty Free photographs, yes you do have to pay but I think you will be pleasently surprised at what they charge, they are all top quality, and used by Adobe and other like software developers, not forgetting other agencies etc
    And no I'm not on commission :-)), just happy with them

www.istockphoto.com
  • I'm Trying, can you e-mail me some details about this site via Webbo's system, as I would like a users opinion.
    My oldest is looking around the various image libraries for placing his photos- and any suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Some will be going to rights-managed, but others would be better in the Royalty free market.
    Thanks.
  • Carol, this might be of interest to you, I sell a lot my photography work with the agency Fotolia (www.fotolia.co.uk)
  • Thanks Midia, we'll have a look at them.
  • hi,
    Thanks to you all for the very welcome advice.
    Skip
  • Hello Skip, I missed that important bit last night.
  • Will do Carol
  • Thanks I'm Trying, grateful for the imput.
  • Just sent it Carol
  • Just come back on, IT I'll go and have a look now. Thanks.
  • I've sent a reply, thanks IT, and I'll let you know if any of his work goes on.