Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

War and Peace- Tolstoy

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

•     I have recently completed reading this MASTERPIECE, no other words will do. The new translation by A. Briggs is simply brilliant.
    Tolstoy is peerless, for me to even attempt to review it, is a joke indeed! I'm not worthy! Though there are some fine reviews on amazon for those of you interested.

Sometimes you have to stand back in AWE, thank the Lord for the opportunity, perhaps like standing in front of the Himalayas. words are useless.
    Would i recommend this to aspiring writers- NO.
    To writers with 2/3 novels, but not published-NO.
    To writers just published, even 2/3 novels- Yes, but even here not completely sure.

The reason- one needs confidence and the ability to appreciate and withstand the novels great force. The power of its writing, to admire the truth and clarity of expression. I must quickly add, there is no room for literary snobbery here- to acknowledge greatness and to think yourself great aswell is the height of Stupidity!

IN a recent survey of Published writers, this was voted the Best novel ever written; and i can see why now. It joins my list of all time greats.
    The fact that i haven't been able to write very much since completion is another matter- i've only just picked up my pencil again, confidence returning very slowly! :-}
  • Sweetie, I only wish I could attempt it!  However, I read Anna Karenina all through and thought it a brilliant book - it was crap what happened with Anna because she was actually quite a strong woman (although at the same time I was very loyal to Dostoevsky as I'd loved Crime and Punishment)... 

Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of it.  How do you follow that up in your reading matter?
  • I'm glad to finally meet someone else who loves it as much as I do.  It's a brilliant book and not as hard to read as most people think.
  • I'm glad to finally meet someone else who loves it as much as I do.  It's a brilliant book and not as hard to read as most people think.
  • I read War and Peace in 45 minute chunks (sorry if that sounds disrespectful) a long time ago on the train journey to and from work.

Not the lightest book to carry around!
  • Tessa [sweeetie!] if you liked anna karina, you really will enjoy this new translated version, because of the way he has made it so accessible; and also the new layout, so its easy on the eye- and jenny its not that heavy now.
    How do you indeed follow this up? But there are different novels that give pleasure in different ways. But few if any will match war and peace.
    Hush puppy so glad you enjoyed it too.
  • Huh, Vijay, I'm not perhaps the "sweetie" type you may think.  Born in East Ham, East London, and solid to my roots - though stuck in Sarf London now for kids.  Till next year when, hurrah, I get back to East End again.  Yaaaaaayy!