Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Geek

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• My husband called me a geek last night because he caught me reading my book while I was brushing my teeth. I didn't see anything wrong with this - I had a spare hand that would hold a book ;-)

Is this not normal then??
  • Sounds like it's an engrossing book - what's the title?!!

I once tried holding a mug of coffee in my left hand because it meant my right hand could turn the pages faster. (This was right near the end of a Robert Goddard book when all was about to be revealed.)

The local librarian was very impressed with my husband's successful method of flattening out wet pages!
  • Usual practice is reading while sitting on the loo, NOT when you're brushing your teeth. So perhaps you are strange. Or I am I the odd one?
  • And on that note, Carol...what's your preferred loo reading material?

We have the Reader's Digest magazine.
  • Jenny, the book was Next by Michael Crichton. Actually I've not enjoyed it very much, but I was near the end and wanted to get it finished before I went to bed so I could start a nice shiny new one today.
  • to me that is not normal ... nor is reading on the loo, something I have never understood. Now reading while standing in queues, at lunch, at the dentist, over breakfast, while waiting for computer to fire up, while daughter is surfing the Internet for music with me standing by in case of 'emergencies' that's a different matter!
  • Not usually me who does that, it's the male portion of the household.
    If I'm engrossed in a book, and I don't want to put it down, then it will go with me. Could be a M&B, historical romance, or a history book. Sometimes even WM finds it's way there.
  • I kind of read in queues too Dorothy - I filled my iPod with audio books instead of music, so I listen to them while shopping. It takes me ages to get round the supermarket though if I'm really into an audio book ... it makes you daudle!
  • Doesn't water splash on the book, Banjo?
  • Ha ha, it does sound a bit odd but full marks to you. Geek indeed...huh!
    Similar comment made by my husband on a plane flight when he looked across the aisle to see me and the two passengers I was sitting next to, each deeply engrossed in our books. He whispered to our two children (the three of them were sitting on the other side of the aisle from me) a la David Attenborough, "Take a good look, kids. You don't often see a sight like that, three in a row...a whole nerd herd."
    Hehehe.
  • I can't concentrate on reading when nervous, so reading at the dentist's is definitely a no-no for me! 

I hate it when I get to the end of my train journey to or from work and only have a few pages of a book left to go!

I wouldn't call you a geek Banjo - just making effective use of your time!
  • I have to admit, I have to be comfy before I can get into a book.  Ideally seated with good back support, or lying in bed.  I might have mentioned this somewhere before, but I can't read a new book at night, reason being I can't put it down.  I used to be able to in the past, but advancing age seemed to have messed with my ability to do this in the last 3 years (I swear 30 is the magic number).  I read everynight, but books I've read before, namely my entire T Pratchett and Tom Holt collections.  I've not done very well with new books lately, though I have six fantasy novels sitting on my printer and about five to eight others on the bookcase, all waiting to be read.  At the moment, all I want to do with the precious free time I have is write.  The eternal conundrum, eh?         
  • I'll revert to this when I find the Internet thingy. Sorry - this isn't a very interesting post, is it?
  • There's a few things, but this'll do:

"Geeks make good lovers"

The only trouble is I keep reading it as 'Greeks'.
  • "Pi is all Greek to me," said my partner's mother.
  • Kateyanne, I manage not to splash water on the book - it's a skill I've built up over many years of practice ;-)
  • Is that a cue for a "Strange Talents" thread?
  • I tend to do squats when im brushing my teeth but i have never tried reading a book.  I might try that one tonight.  I've read a book while squatting tho!
  • Bigger books are too awkward to hold open with one hand, and I'm a very messy brusher-of-teeth; I therefore usually get a magazine while doing my dutiful 3-minute-scrub.

We keep a pile of magazines in the loo - the current Week, Big Issues and the Writers' News. Also a few books, the dipping-in kind. Currently the "Devil's Dictionary" by Ambrose Bierce, "How Animals Have Sex" and "The Meaning of Tingo".
  • Yes it really needs to be a paperback for toothbrushing-reading, a hardback or a very large paperback would be just too awkward. A magazine is ideal though; excellent suggestion.
  • Anyanka - I've tried to refrain from mentioning this in case you say "I wondered who'd be the first to notice" ....

I love the idea that you keep "dipping-in" books in the loo!!!
  • Squats while brushing teeth?  Hmm