Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling all Nicci French fans

KazKaz
edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Being a huge fan of the dynamic duo myself, I just wondered if anyone has read "Losing You" and what they thought of it. I have read all the NF books, but for some reason I got 30 pages in on this one and couldn't get into it. Perhaps it's just me! Also I'm about to start Nicci Gerrard's "Things We Knew Were True" which I believe is her first solo novel - hopefully I'll make it through to the end. Loved "Beneath the Skin" though and the TV adaptation.
  • I have read a few of the books.  I started out because I was writing a kidnap novel and The Land of the Living was the closest thing on the market (and still is) to what I was writing.  There is no writer(s) who have the ability to make my skin crawl (in a good way) like Nicci French.

I bought Losing You to help me with ending the novel.  I thought that the mother character just seemed to spend the story running around in circles doing nowt (as we say in Newcastle).  I didn't like the characters, and calling your heroine's main character by the surname Laundry was a big mistake.  Definitely not up to her usual standard.
  • Hi Stirling,

Good to know it wasn't just me that was disappointed with the latest NF collaboration. Are you still working on your kidnap novel? What stage are you at? Sounds like just the kind of thing I like to read.

Luv Kaz
  • Hi Kaz

I'm just on my final polish.  I should be ready to approach agents and publishers by early 2008.  I will be posting the opening chapters on youwriteon.com in a few weeks so I will keep you posted.  I'm very keen to know what you think of it.
  • Please do, Stirling. As we seem to like reading similar things I'll really look forward to it.