Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Too much detail or not enough

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Does anyone else have problems deciding how much is enough detail.
    I seem to veer from one extreme to the other depending on my mood on the day.

I have just given up on writing today and I seem to have skimmed over events in my story far too quickly.
  • Yes, sometimes I think I've put in too much, others not enough, but generally it sorts itself out during revisions.
  • I think I should probably learn to leave it alone until I get to the revision stage.
    This is something I find very difficult.
    I will keep picking.
    And yes in case you wondered I was the sort of child who picks at scabs etc.
  • I normally revise what I've done the day before and then just carry on with today's work, knowing it will be revised tomorrow.  For major revisions, I tend to leave it for a few days/weeks or as in the case of the current book, 7 months!
  • I was told once that a work of mine was underwritten in places and overwritten in others. At the time, I had little idea what was meant.

I've heard someone say that Dickens and Hardy wouldn't be published now, partly because everyone knows what the various places are like.
  • Over written, don't talk to me about over writing. How the hell do you write a 100k word novel by under writing?  I need to know.
  • Hmm. I'm not the best person to ask. My 'books' and 'short stories' are turning into plays without stage directions. The jokes flow, but do my public appreciate them? Of course they do! (Wonder if I can get any more of that anaesthetic?)
  • MarcB I can relate to that
  • I think the word 'overwritten' means the quality of the writing rather than the quantity; i.e. too many adjectives, over explanation, purple prose.