Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Times Books supplement

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• The following review was in last Saturday's Books supplement - it might be of interest to Talkbackers!

Reading Like a Writer
    By Francine Prose
    Reviewed by Iain Finlayson
    The best advice to any hopeful writer is — read. Learning to read critically and creatively can be as difficult as acquiring the ability to write. Prose’s excellent literary primer is a masterclass in how to read properly and with purpose. A schoolmarm of great erudition (lightly worn) and charm, she is sincerely enthusiastic about the literary pleasure and stylistic profit to be found on every page of novels at every level from classic to pulp. Writing can be taught, talent trained and genius studied. This book does all three.

READING LIKE A WRITER by Francine Prose

More reviews on www.timesonline.co.uk/books

Carol - I hope I'm not duplicating any information you've posted!
  • Got it when it came out in hardback. I can't recommend it enough. There's a great list of books to read in the appendix as well.

Excellent book.

Richard
  • Thanks Richard - it's useful to have your personal recommendation!

There's also a review in the supplement for The Plot Against Pepys, written by a father and son, James and Ben Long. One is a novelist and the other a historian.

The partnership obviously worked for them, but for most people co-writing a book with such a close relation would be somewhat fraught. And in itself a likely theme for a book - or sitcom!
  • No worries Jenny, I'm not back into full flow yet. At least one of us will pick up these things.
  • Saw this the other day and brought it.
    Haven't started it yet but it looks good.
  • I agree that reading helps you to write, but I've been put off books I've had to read and criticise/review.
  • Jenny

Thanks for the info about "The Plot Against Pepys". James Long is one of the Tutors on my Arvon Course in October. I must have missed the review when I was flicking through the Times at the weekend. I'm currently reading "The Perfect Sinner" by him which is a good read

Richard