Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Plot Spoilers

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• In the Guardian there is an article in which JK Rowling has pleaded to prevent plot spoilers on her up coming HP novel.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,2079334,00.html

I don't see what the problem is.  I wouldn't be bothered if people where doing that with my novels, actual I would be quite impressed my book warranted that kind of attention.

Surely reading isn't about just the plot, but characterisation and setting and style.  Or am I being extremely old fashioned?.

Should JK Rowling really be treat any different from any other writer?.
  • I think I would be bothered. I hate it when people tell you plot points of a book you are reading as though they are doing you a favour. I want to arrive there on my own, it is all part of the adventure of the journey.

I agree that reading s a lot more that plot but I think you are speaking like a writer. As you say "characterisation and setting and style" are really important and the rich parts of a novel, yet they all rely upon the plot carrying them along.
    So I guess a lot of people would be miffed rather at their enjoyment of a story being revealed without that tale having the richness of the other things you pointed out as part of that experience. Especially f it was seven books into a series.
  • Yes, I agree Tony - if I wrote fiction, I wouldn't want someone to give the ending away. When I read crime fiction, say, I really don't want to know whodunnit before I get to the end! Guess that a lot of JKR's readers are young people and the plot will be very important for them, as well as what happens to the characters they've grown to love.
  • The point is not to protect Rowling from plot spoilers - I think she already knows what happens - but her readers.  Perhaps you are one of those people who reads the last page first, but I hate knowing the end before I've reached it! Rowling's novels usually feature a plot twist, and while characterisation, setting and style are vital ingredients in a novel, they are useless unless they carry a story.

I remember my daughter coming home from school very annoyed a couple of years ago, because some of her classmates had raced through the latest Harry Potter novel on the day it had come out and then told everybody the major plot twists. 
  • But would you really not read a book because you know the plot?.

If that were true, why would anyone re-read their favourite books?.

I know I would still read the book either way.
  • Well, the revelation of one particular plot twist has deterred me from reading the 'HP & the Half-Blood Prince'.  However, I had already been put off by the low standard of the previous book, so it didn't take that much.  I'd still read a book that I was keen on, but knowing major plot turns would lessen my enjoyment. Same with films: I hate how trailers these days show half the movie!
  • No I would still read it but prefer to go into it unknown. That first journey is only richer when everything is revealed little by little a you progress.
    I guess we reread our favourite books based on the characters. So the plot does not matter so much at that point as we are visiting old friends that we have missed. But the first time we meet them, as in real life, we want their mysteries to be slowly unraveled. This is why books are often referred to as "page turners". We are desperate to find out what will happen next along the journey and love doing so at the pace of the story, not with a previewed blueprint.
  • I agree with you, Stirling.
    I still enjoy re reading classics like Pride and Prejudice, for example, even though I know the ending.
    It wouldn't worry me knowing the ending of Rowling's next book. I would still read it and enjoy it. But I can see how some people might not when they have heard the ending.

I'm the same with DVDs. I still enjoy watching them even if I have watched them many times before.
    And even when I have read endings to various soap plots revealed in the newspapers it doesn't stop me enjoying and watching them. In fact for some odd reason I am more inclined to watch to see how things work out.
  • Everything is being kept under such secure wraps that surely these spoilers can only be suppositions?
    We are all intelligent writers so we can guess what the possible plot lines will be.
    And readers will be no different- but from a different angle.
    Personally I can't see her killing Harry, whatever is said. Knocking off (killing)the favourite teacher, yes.
  • Agatha Christie begged people not to give away the ending of The Mousetrap. It's still running.
  • oooh who did it?
  • The Cat. It was sent into the theatre by Andrew Lloyd Webber to kill the competition.
  • Coming from someone who always reads the last couple of pages and then spends the rest of the book working out if they actually made it to a proper conclusion, I have no trouble with plot spoilers at all.  All I wish is that Harry would have a nasty accident which would mean he no longer went to school and we didtn have to read about it.  I got bored after Order of the Pheonix.
  • ^^ that was me, seems talkback is acting up again
  • Sign out, and sign back in again.

Did anyone see the Independent today?.

The story goes, Gerry Johnson (managing director for Waterstones) at their '25 Authors for the Future' Event is quoted as saying:

"There are books that are better written.  There are books that have better plots.  Buuut Harry Potter has brought millions of children to reading".

Made me laugh.  I don't like the HP books, I just never realised the book industry agreed with me!.
  • If I knew who did it in The Mousetrap, I'd blab.
  • My partner took me to see the Mousetrap for my birthday a couple of years ago. I have to confess I have no recollection whatsoever of whodunnit - perhaps they cleverly add some subliminal amnesia-inducing words to the play?!
  • Yes, it only comes back to you after twenty years.
  • Orange have just annoyed me. There, on their home screen, it tells you what's happening next between -
  • Forgot to say Coronation Street.
  • Your just a tease Jay!.
  • Revenge! (See Jenny's post on Chocolate again.)