Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Advice for a new short story writer, please!

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Help please!  I have three short stories which I'm quite happy with and would like to try to have published, but I have similar problems with all of them.  The first is a fantasy, which I have started by saying it is an ancient legend which has been told to me.  The second is based on the life of someone I met briefly, but is fictionalised although written as if it is fact.  The third is completely fictitious, but apparently about a ceremony I witnessed in China.  I have read all three stories to my writing group and in every case they thought they were true stories (except of course the fantasy, but they did believe that I had been told that it was an American Indian legend!). 

I feel pleased that I suppose I must have written the stories well enough to make them believable, but wonder if, if I submit them to a magazine, I need to point out that they are fiction.

I'm very new to submitting stories in the hope of publication and don't want to get it wrong by giving the impression that I'm submitting fact and not fiction!

Any pointers would be most gratefully received!
  • Poppy, as the owner of a large number of rejects for short stories I wouldn't worry. If the publication you are sending them to has said it wants short stories these are understood by us all to be fiction. If they want facts they ask for articles. Also there is nothing to stop you putting in your covering letter that they are works of fiction.
    However if you want to be mischievious maybe you could just send them and see how many people fall for the realism. Some years (decades) ago there was a book that came out called 'Dear Little Me' (at least that's what I think it was called) It was the alleged autobiography of a film star. It was obviously a fake and written to be a satire of such autoboigraphies. It even included photos of 'famous' friends of the writer. Suprisingly there were large numbers of people who read it and believed it to be real. I remember having a long argument with someone trying to convince them that virtually every name mentioned in the book was fictional. Maybe you have a talent for such things. Best of luck with your submissions and let us all know how you get on.
  • Just send them out as short stories but make sure you study your target market to see that it is apt for your type of tale . eg no point sending the fantasy tale to the magazine Country Tales.  It's a waste of time from both sides.  Also would advise perhaps not aiming too high to start with and try the smaller magazines which may not pay much, if at all, but are a better bet for getting your work published.  Good luck.
  • Thanks PG and MW for your very helpful advice and for your good luck wishes.  I've taken on board what you suggest and will be sending out my stories soon.  I'll let you know if I have any joy!
  • Good luck, Poppy, I'm at the same stage, ready to submit - and cleared a wall for rejections!
  • Grannylonglegs, thanks for your good wishes!  I hope you have success and that your wall remains clear!

I was told when I first started writing that until ALL the bathroom walls are covered in rejections, I couldn't even think I was a writer!  So I live in a house with a very small bathroom!
  • The rejections make the acceptances so much sweeter. Good luck, Poppy!
  • Thanks for that Sally Q!  Believe me, you'll all know about it when I have an acceptance!  And it will be sweet!