Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do you forget what you've written?

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• A lot of people forget what they've read, but do you forget what you've written?
  • When I look at stuff I wrote years ago, sometimes I think "this isn't bad" - and then I remember one of my mum's sayings: "Self praise is no recommendation"!!!
  • I've heard this before, but no, I'ts never happened to me...although I sometimes wish I would.
  • Is that an example?
  • Partner's mother was staying with us this week (she's back again for a couple of days this coming week when I have a minor op).

I was going to show her a story I'd written based on a dictionary word: gender. I'd only just finished it, but I didn't recognise it when I came across it.
  • An example? What - my wierd sentence?

I came across cuttings of a column I used to write for a very small local publication recently. I remember writing every single word...I just didn't realise they were so bad.

Is your partner's mother coming to look after you or her son whilst you're in hospital?
  • I've done that, Jay. I sometimes look back and think, 'Wow, that's not half bad...wish I could come up with something like that now,' except it's usually only little phrases or small paragraphs on scraps of paper rather than an entire work. Pity.

Then you made feel all guilty with your "Self praise is no recommendation" and I had second thoughts about posting this reply in case you thought I was up myself.
    But THEN I thought, 'Ah, what the heck? If you don't know by now that I'm riddled with self-doubt and a serious lack of real talent, you never will.'

(Talk amongst yourselves - I'll stop waffling now)  ;-)
  • Hi again, IG.

'Then you made feel all guilty with your "Self praise is no recommendation"'
    - that wasn't me.

'and I had second thoughts about posting this reply in case you thought I was up myself.'
    Lovely Australian turn of phrase. Conjures up some great images.

'But THEN I thought, 'Ah, what the heck? If you don't know by now that I'm riddled with self-doubt and a serious lack of real talent, you never will.''
    You're just neurotic/paranoid etc like all writers.
  • Hi, Isabella. I'm having a general anaesthetic, so someone's got to be around for 24 hours. But I'm hoping she might do the cooking ... and washing-up, and dusting and hoovering, and washing and ironing, and clean the car, and mow the lawn ... I wonder if she's any good at short stories ...
  • That's not asking too much of an eighty-year-old woman, is it? (My partner's older than me, by the way. Just thought I'd mention it.)
  • My Grandmother's ninety six and nearly blind (an eye desease that she's handed down to all of us) but still needs tying down to stop her from peeling spuds (badly) and washing up (badly). So get the old girl working : )
  • Thanks, Isabella. I wouldn't like to think I was expecting too much. I'll get her to wash the kitchen floor, now.