Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

naming problems

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• hi I wondeer if you can help me I am stuck with trying to two names for my characters, who are invovled are invovled in a conspiracy that I am writing. The theme is decisions and change.

The first charcaters is male and the other is female. The job of the first character is councillor. and the other is his wife
                        Phil. 
  • How old are they?
  • And are they Europe based, US based?  What time period is it set in? 
  • A Google search for names will provide you with umpteen lists - have a browse through one or two. You'll know when you've found the right names as they'll jump out at you!
  • I keep a list of names that I jot down when I hear them and they appeal to me or I think they are particularly apt for a character.  You could try looking at your local authority website for councillors if you get stuck.
  • Is this a serious question?? If you know your characters well (and you should do if you are going to write about them) then you know how old they are, what they look like, their social background, nationality, education etc. Only you know what names would suit. Anything we suggest would just be plucked from our own favourites list and would have no bearing on your characters. So long as you don't pick something wildly ridiculous like Alberto and Griselda Higginbottom, they could be called just about any normal names. Go with your gut feeling. Try Martin and Jessica Brown, or James and Anthea Parkinson, or if they are older George and Martha something - there are millions of combinations. Go with your own gut feeling. They are your creations, after all!
  • Viv, you've offended my husband Alberto and me.  Yours, Griselda Higginbottem. (marcB is my pen name)
  • Hi. Welcome to Talkback. Tell me their ages, and I'll see if I can find the most popular names for when they were born.
  • Don't ask Jay, all his characters are called A and B or X and Y
  • If I don't immediately have a name for a character, I generally flick through a dictionary of names and draw up a short list of 2 or 3.  Then as I'm writing the story I quickly find that one of those names suits the character better than the others, so that's the one I settle on.  I find it hard to get very far into a story until I've got the names right.
  • Or Jamie and Sam. When I was compiling the flash fiction collection, I was practically driven mad by having to find other names.
  • It's always worth getting a book of names and putting it on your shelf. I have one that gives famous/well known people with that name and the general time it was popular.
    The wrong name for your character can ruin your story.
  • can I recommend my favourite names book, The Encyclopaedia of Christian Names by EJ Withycombe.  It has resolved many problems for me. One of my novels, a teen one (not yet published) started in 495AD and ended up in 1995AD with 100 year leaps in between each chapter.  So, the names had to be right for the period.  I found without that book I would have come seriously unstuck.  When it was checked by a historian (Bodley Head accepted it and then dropped it, sob sob) every name was right.
    It has also shown me recently that every modern historian has misspelled my Earl's name, much to his amusement. It is Antony.  The H didn't arrive for another century. I love gloating in my Notes at the back of the biography ... how they are all wrong ... because so many of them Think They Know It All!
  • How odd that someone decided an H should be inserted into the name when it isn't even pronounced.

If it was, our previous PM would have been Thony Blair!! (Phony Blair I could have understood!)
  • Tarquin & Agnes, I think Jay will appreciate the quality of those names.  Hehe.
  • They sound familiar somehow.
  • Well,I do not sense any tearing out of hair followed by "why does he keep suggesting these godforsaken names, will he not learn!"

And Agnes is such a lovely woman after all, kindly desposed to small animals and she also makes very good fairy cakes.

Whilst Tarquin is "considerably richer than thou", he is not rich enough to attempt a name change.  He was probably bullied at school and has never really recovered from it.  But on the plus side he enjoys Agnes' cakes.

Now do you still not like them even after all that, Jay?  Very wholesome characters if you ask me.  Hehe.
  • But they sound like 70 year old's.
  • I know, I know.  I will let them go...goodbye Agnes, goodbye Tarquin.

As for the original question, what about John (councillor) and his wife Evette?  Is that how you spell Evette?
  • Thanks Jay, had a thick moment.  Have to be honest not quite sure about the last message.  Guess they didn't like Evette...sorry, Yvette.
  • MW is a vet!
  • In the USA Anthony is pronounced as it is written. Only here do we use the H and not use it, as it were.
  • I sent a short story to someone in the States. One of the characters was called Anthony. The American asked why I kept repeating the word 'Tone'. It was set (sorry!) in a hair salon, so perhaps so confusion arose there.
  • regional? Anthony Kedis is apparently AntHony.
  • My main objection with names (of people and places) is when they're pronounced in a totally different way to the spelling, eg:

Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw
    Dalziel = Diyal (as in Dalziel and Pascoe)
    Menzies = Mingis
    Des Moines = Demoyne (that's neither French nor English pronunciation!)

It's only done to make people sound like twerps when they get it wrong!!
  • Calling characters XXX and YYY can lead to inadvertent hilarity.

Even Steven
    Even Evan
    Peter petered out
    Gay guy, Guy

And you have to be careful about changing names. I changed Richard to Stephen, and ended up with 'Stephen Of York Gave Battle In Vain.'

Then I changed a name, and found pROBlem, pROBability, and wardROBe got changed, too. (My excuse was a different computer.)

One author used his own names - and forgot to change them before the book went to print.
  • The Chief makes me giggle. I'm well known for talking to myself while I write, mulling over my stories. For example, I might say something aloud (but thinking to myself) such as, "Hmm, having a bit of trouble with this character."
    He'll jump in and say things like, "How about Morris Beanham for a name? Or Sidney Davison?"
    Hehehe, I don't know how many times I have to say (politely and gently) that I don't need a name, I need a personality. Poor fella doesn't get it but he always makes me smile with his gritty determination to come up with names. I think I made the mistake of using one of his invented names for a character once. I thought it might appease him for a while but it only encouraged him, I'm afraid.