Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Was what Rankin suggested offensive

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2267719.ece
    Here is a brief extract of what caused the 'problem', do read it and give an opinion.

'Britain’s bestselling crime writer found himself condemned as “offensive” by a leading female rival yesterday after suggesting that women authors, and gay ones in particular, are more bloodthirsty than men. The acclaimed writer of the Inspector Rebus novels said in an interview last year: “The people writing the most graphic novels today are women. They are mostly lesbians as well, which I find interesting.”

Why, if he said it last year, has it only now become an issue for someone? Publicity?
  • I can't see why anyone is offended by it - he's entitled to his opinion.  Personally I'd just ignore it and think 'each to his own'.
  • They say 'A woman scorned' and all that.  I probably am rather nasty when cross, as are lots of women so maybe he is right! not sure about sexuality having anything to do with it though!  i wonder if he can back his statement with figures? i am pretty sure i can be as horrid as the next woman - lesbian or not!  does that make gay men more or less bloodthirsty then?
  • As a lesbian writer I don’t find it particularly offensive. I don’t think he was meaning it in a derogatory way, just saying that it’s interesting. Though it’s something that still gets people’s backs up. If he was saying that all lesbians are bloodthirsty, that would be another thing! I think they should see it as a compliment, as he’s a crime writer himself so it’s not like he’s saying that it’s a bad thing to write gruesome scenes.
  • I read the article - it surprised me. Val McDermid showed a susceptibility unusual for someone writing 'bloodthirsty' crime novels. Had her sexuality not been mentioned, she might have let it go. I must say, I can't blame her for reacting the way she did. What has being gay got to do with anything? Or her gender, for that matter? I never realised she was female until I happened to come across an article about her. Surely it's the finished product that counts not the writer's personal life.
    It's this same attitude that makes publishers spend millions on 'celebrity' books - all because of their private lives. Has nothing to do with the quality of the writing per se. Grrr
  • Oh dear, my posting has been attributed to someone else. My PS to that was even if it was a statement of fact, it is nobody's business.
    Clarissa
  • your right there clarissa. its rather offensive to be catagorised by terms.  we are all on a level playing field (or should be at least) where its talent that gets recognised not sexuality!
  • Personally I think Val went a bit over the top in response to Rankin's comments, but then she is (as we all are) entitled to her opinion. I am a lesbian and a thriller writer, although my novels are of the psychological terror variety, rather than blood and gore, however I have no objection to reading about graphically-detailed crimes, whoever the author is.
  • Some of the examples they gave at the bottom of the article, were just too yucky for my taste.
    I wonder if her sales are suffering at the moment?
    As Rankin is doing the signings round with the final Rebus book.(He's in Nottingham-today I think, signing copies at Smith's.)And it has been getting a lot of publicity generally.
  • There was an article in the Daily Mail over twenty years ago which said much the same thing, and profiled several leading female crime writers.  (I used to keep a scrapbook of things like that, so I kept the article for years)
  • It's an old chestnut that women are particularly good at writing crime fiction, including lashings of blood and gore;  Rankin only added in the bit about lesbians - not so clever of him, I guess, although it's hardly derogatory.
  • Val McDermid can talk.  Her last few books have been weak, and her new one is absolutely pap.  Rankin on the other hand . . .

Sour grapes in my book.  I agree with Rankin, women are more bloodthirsty.  This is one former fan who will never buy another book of hers.
  • From today's Guardian:

Speaking to McDermid yesterday though, her anger wasn't directed at Rankin - but at the way the story has been reported. "Ian and I Instant Messaged each other when this story broke and were very amicable," she tells me. "We are still friends - he danced at my wedding, for Christ's sake!"
    As we chat, McDermid is scanning reports of the incident on the internet, becoming increasingly incensed. "Why was only my sexuality mentioned?" she asks. "I was on stage with Denise Mina, who supported and expanded on what I said, but because she is, inconveniently, a self-confessed heterosexual, the only remarks reported on were mine.

"I did not even mention Ian's name," she adds. "Not because I was frightened to, but because I wanted to have a wider discussion about the issues. The way it has been reported makes me sound like a mad, paranoid lesbian." It's easy to see her point. Yesterday morning the page three headline in the Times read: "Revenge of the bloodthirsty lesbians."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/crime/story/0,,2150615,00.html
  • I shouldn’t imagine her sales will suffer. And I agree – I’m not offended by Rankin’s observation but by the way it’s reported. Does my head in that anything with the word ‘lesbian’ in it gets more interest than other sexualities and it’s played on by media. I’ve had occasion to twist this to my advantage in terms of publicity but I’d rather not be seen only for my sexuality, but for talent.

Plus the underlying sensitivity here is that for so many years lesbians were seen as abnormal deviants and just as we’re starting to become accepted as simply another aspect of human expression, we get a backlash of accusations that we’re obsessed with violence.

The old chestnut about women being better crime writers has several theories attached. One is that men have no need to use writing as an expression for their aggressive or violent feelings as they are free to express them openly where women are not (debatable now with the ‘new man’). Another is that crime writers are not writing about what they want to do but what they fear the most and that a woman has more to fear in the world that is unsafe for women. Another is that women are simply better writers than men in general. I’m not being sexist here (lol) but talking about educational standards and language use – it’s a valid research-based assertion that girls are better at language and expression/communication and boys are better at maths/spatial awareness *in general*. Obviously you get some brilliant mathematically minded women (I am a computer programmer, so I go against the norm here) and some especially communicative men, but they are in the minority.

I think this issue between Val and Ian is a storm in a media-cup.
  • Have to agree with you Josie.
    I would have liked to have read the whole of the interview this came from to be able to put it in context.
    Like anything the media jump on a story with a 'name'. I have no idea who or what the other person sharing the stage with her was/is.
    I suspect that women make better/more successful crime writers due to many of those male/female differences.
    Women tend to be more aware of feelings and such, and as Josie mentions safety wise we need to be more aware of what's going on around us- because we can be seen as vunerable or a potential victim- and I'm sure we bring that into our writing.
  • Josie, thanks for your expansion on women as better crime writers. Some very interesting points there. Crime fiction is my 'light relief' reading, and most of my favourite writers in the genre are female, but I'd never analysed the reasons.
  • I hope if Val is reading what is on the internet and finds this site, so that she knows that she is disappointing her die hard fans.