Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Any possible ideas

edited August 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• In the pile of mail when I got home was a cardboard package containing a book. Nothing unusual there, except I didn't have any book orders outstanding.
    Inside was a (new- fresh from the shelf/warehouse wherever) 2006 Fantasy novel by Scott Lynch. There was no insert with the book, and my only clue, it came from Brighton.
    As the author had the second book in the series out this July, I'm assuming it's a marketing thing by the publisher- sending copies to writers' groups.
    Any other ideas? Or has anyone heard of anything similar?
  • Could it not be a book club type marketing move, where the loss lead a title based on possibly some research and then follow up with a phone call to persuade you to join their club. As hopefully by then you will have enjoyed their free title. I tend to feel my wife had a Maeve Binchy sent with a similar tactic a few years ago.
  • Thanks Agean, I hadn't considered that idea.
    In fact we looked up what sources there was in Brighton, on the net, and the Book Guild were there in fact. So that may be the answer.
  • Hi carol
    If it is from the Book Guild based in Brighton and you didn't request it, it is what is known as unsollicited mail.
    Write to them requesting they send the cost of postage and packageing , which must be sent with in 6 month.
    If no reply you can claim the book as yours and do with it as you wish, and costhem for storage - I kid you not on that one

I fell for the same scam with the Readers Union, almost ended in court as they were demanding payment 28 days after postage to me for 4 books
  • Carol - on the other hand, maybe it's a present from the Book Fairy!
  • I'm Trying, there's nothing to tell me who sent it( which is confusing me) just the postmark. It arrived during the first week of the holiday, so if there is any follow up mail it should arrive soon.

If it was the Book Fairy, Jenny, then I think I got someone else's book.