Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What do you think of the new-look magazines?

edited August 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• What do you think of the new-look magazines?

I haven't had a good look yet, but I noticed things looked different when I was looking (look - again) for readers' reviews.

Writing Magazine has eight more pages.Nairn Notes seems to have disappeared from Writers' News.

Any comments?
  • news to me
  • news to me
  • I have no strong preference for the new or the old.

As always there are some items that I am more interested in than others.

One of those extra pages is taken up by an extra page of index.
  • Taken a bit of getting used and they need to shoot whoever does the layout.  Last months competition had a line missing in the info....it just sort of stopped mid sentence.  Not the first time I have noticed things like that.  BUT the info is still the same calibre and it is still pretty packed with good stuff.
  • not yet had a proper look but I quite like it - so far.  I wonder if the Nairn Notes disappeared because I criticised their grammar ...
  • More likely it's another aspect of the gradual severance of links with the DSJT Trust. The great man is a respectable age now, and he's probably reducing his writing commitments (if not actually retiring!).

It'll be a pity to lose it though, Nairn Notes was always one of my favourite parts of WN.
  • I wonder ... should I remonstrate about the 'Boy meets girl' short story competition? I've a feeling they said some years ago that their Valentine story had to be about people of different sexes. (The previous year, I'd submitted a same-sex story.)

Actually, I'm not sure I've got anything I could submit, but there's a principle at stake.
  • Not sure about the very large left hand margins, but overall it feels fresher than it did, in a manner of speaking.  Didn't find too much to read this time, although Stuart Palmer was as good as ever.  I understand and appreciate his comment on not overdoing the gore.  I remember reading the comments of one horror writer, he had received many complaints about a scene in his book, saying it was too graphic. All he had written was 'her arm was torn off.'  The build up had obviously worked to the point when the reader thought there was much more to it! Less is more, as it were.
  • Just thought I'd bring this to the top.
  • Just had a quick peek, looks okay- but is there less text than before on the pages with the wide left=hand border?
    (At least there's no pictures behind the text)
  • contents page is annoying it used to fit on one side now its spread over two and as I scan them so that I know whats in what magazine when Im looking for something, it means I have to scan it twice now.  Other than that no real preferences
  • jay, i'm with you there. there should be no discrimination in this day and age (even if i cant spell it!).

not sure about the new layout.  it could be the 'we fear change' thing but its rather sterile - a lot of white page.
  • Exactly, Amanda, that`s what I don`t like about it either. Too much glaring white space.Just think of all the info they could put in there! And the layout is lousy.I prefer the old look.There`s that saying, isn`t there: "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it!"
  • I think the new look is quite neat and clean - I like it, it seems like there's more space.

But I've only subscribed this year, so I didn't notice the change massively, if I'm honest
  • I've only glanced through it (still reading August's magazines - the new editions always come out way too early in the preceding month for me). At first glance it looks like a vast improvement. There is a lot of white space but I find the white space much easier on the eye than all the huge, totally irrelevant pictures that had begun to pad out the magazine.

I have to admit that I'll miss having the article writers' photos next to their names though.
  • Is it different from August's?  Didn't notice anything had changed.