Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

September Short Story Comp

edited August 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Hello everyone,

In Augusts magazine was a trailer for the September editions short story comp - "Boy Meets Girl."

I got a bit over excited and wrote two (very different) stories. Is it OK to enter two in one competition?

Or are there any rules about only submitting one?

Having read previous winners, neither will be good enough to win, but they were both inspired by the competition so I thought I'd like to submit them both! (Otherwise they *definitely* wont win.)

Josh
  • The first thing I would say here Josh is to be wary of comparing your work with anyone elses.  This is never the way to go ahead.  Writing is subjective and everyone has their own unique style.  There are no hard and fast rules so don't beat yourself up.  Secondly, I don't think it is really the done thing to enter two pieces at once, someone else may have a better idea than me but I don't think you can.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • The rules don't stop you entering two pieces as long as you pay two entry fees. But isn't it better to enter your best story - if you can judge which one that is, of course! Boy meets girl is such a common theme that you may be able to send them to a womens magazine, and waiting until you see if you have won a competition will stop you doing that. So why not hedge your bets - one story to the competition, one to a magazine.
  • Thanks both. No, it didnt seem like the done thing, which is why I posted. But then I thought - why not? Couldnt think of an actual reason, it just didnt feel right :-)

Both stories are very different, one is a love story, ones a hate story. :-| I like them both. I'll have to re-read them when they're not so fresh in my mind.

J
  • I don't think a hate story will be what they are looking for in this comp - unless they end up loving each other after all!