Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

writing successes

edited July 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi All
    I am pleased to let you know have had another travel writings published with photographs.
    Again my written words were changed.
    You can find it on: http://www.tashidelek.in/
    or follow my blogg:
    http://www.valyellowriter.blogspot.com
    I have not corresponded on this site for a while as I am very busy with writing a children's book and life. Val
  • Well done, Val.  Travel writing isn't easy to break into. I've done a fair amount of travelling in my time (see my website), but the only piece I've ever got published was a rant about the $%&* who stole my purse on the Paris Métro.
  • Congratulations! Good luck with the book.
  • Well done!
    Good luck with the children's book too.
  • Well done.
  • good news, glad to hear it!
  • Congratulations ValYellow. I don't know if it has been asked on here before, apologies if it has, but I've just got a new digi camera and would be grateful to know what setting I should use for photos that could be used in magazines etc. I'm not a techie when it comes to digi cameras, but I would hate to miss the opportunity of a good story if a flying pig dropped on my head or suchlike. 
  • How many mega pixels does it have?
  • Congratulations, Val.
  • Many congratulations Val, that's great news!
  • Hi
    I was told by the magazines to send in 350dti or above photographs.
    My friend who is a journalist said 1mg no less.
    But I have sent less as in this last article one was off a vidio camera.
    So if they want your article and photographs they will tidy them up.
    Saying that I would make sure initially they are 1mg etc. When they start to commission then you can discuss with them.
    So set your camera on high resolution as possible.
  • Congrats Val!
  • Thanks for above info. Val . It's OH.s 60th in October and he wants to go somewhere different - the Trans Siberian Express is one possibility but now he's talking about camel trekking in Morocco. He will change his mind a dozen times between now and then. I'm more of a tourist than a traveller, just give me a good hotel with a pool and I'm happy, but if I have to go on this expedition I've decided to take my camera and a notebook and write something, could be fiction could be a travel article - or both. Thanks again.
  • Well done.
  • Tilly
    I used to take a note book but I got a Dictaphone instead I find invaluable can record other people and sounds as often i find buses etc are too unsteady to write what I see at that point of time.
    Also i try to create a story when i take my photographs and talk to the Dictaphone about the photograph so i dont forget.The other useful tip is to take photographs of yourself while traveling use ion your story and or article as you need them to sell the article too. if you go to my Blog (address above) and look at two of my articles you will see what I mean. Also the Bhutan articles (track the web site above) did not have hardly any photographs of me because i did just that and photographed everyone else. Hope that helps.
  • I sold a piece of flash to Every Day Fiction and it went up today, here's the link if anyone fancies a read http://www.everydayfiction.com/the-backtrack-by-lee-hughes/
  • Congrats Lee! I'll have a read of that after lunch!
  • Well done Lee, just read it. :-)
  • Congratulations, I'll have a read later when I'm not on the way somewhere.
  • well done Lee, my first ever sale was to them, check it out later
  • I don't usually do the flying back there every five minutes to check. But this is the first eZine that has star ratings for the story, so I keep checking lol

I got an non-negative review on the anthology I'm in this week so I'll use that to balance out anything negative lol
  • well done.
  • Great idea, Lee, very 'Bradbury'. I'd better go back and see if that site will let me star you!
  • edited October 2009
    Congratulations, Lee!
  • Thanks Jay
  • Ah, now I understand! Instead of being in the category Writing Successes, it's on the thread Writing Successes.
  • Well done Mr H :)
  • Well done indeed.
  • BRAVO! I have published an article in Dolls' House Mag. and Miniature World and Londonpearl anthology two poems.
  • Congrats Patricia! good going!
  • Well done, PL!
  • Congratulations Patricia.
  • I got my first in print review today for my story in an anthology earlier in the year. Black Static a horror magazine. My story got a great review so well chuffed. But can't say which story as under contract until March when they release who wrote which story. Forget me not is in the same boat. Just wanted to share, days like today make it all worth while!!
  • Good news Lee.
  • Great news LeeH.
  • Thank you both, it's just nice reading good things, would have had a strop if it were bad lol.
  • edited November 2009
    Yee-Hah!
    (well, Lee-Hah, anyway!)
    Lee, shouldn't this be on a fred of its very own? folks will miss it here, and you don't want that!
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Well done, Lee - positive feedback's great, isn't it? :)

Agree with Ceka - you should start your own thread under writing success otherwise folk will miss this and it's always encouraging to read good news.
  • We like good news.