Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

self publishing

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Has anyone any experiences-good or bad- or self publishing ? .......Baz
  • baz, put self publishing in the search box and you will call up all the threads we have had on this topic. There will be plenty of information for you to wade through, I promise!
  • Yes indeed! I self published when I was 17 after a terrible experience with an amatur publisher. It was very hard work but very rewarding. Even though I still have about 150 copies out of 500 I have had many people telling me 'Sticks and Stones' has managed to alter their view on anorexia.

I will most certainly consider it in the future.

The Self Publishing Magazine (£3) is well worth a read. (I had an article published a few months back.)
  • I managed to get a free trial of 'self-publishing' magazine through Matador's website.

I advise you to learn the difference between self-publishing, print on demand and publish on demand.  Type POD publishing on your internet search engine and it is full of people who know about this kind of thing.
  • Baz (and anybody else) - if you would like to read my experiences of self-publishing the POD way I have put them in a 3000 word article which I can send you as an attachment (49KB).  You can e-mail me via my website www.mrsherlockholmes.co.uk or the members register.
  • Hello Bazzer. I have a lot of experience. My first SP books were in 2002, local histories, my first national publication has just won the Self-Publisher of the Year 2007. All my books have made a profit; one made so much I built a conservatory on the house!

If you want to know anything just email me [email protected] I happily give free advice to all and sundry.
  • Interesting and well-written non-fiction, e.g. local history like yours Helena, seems to be the best / easiest way to get readers and make some money out of self-publishing. It seems to be much harder for fiction, but then that is the way in publishing generally. A self-published fiction title would have to be seriously good to make waves. I've got friends who are trying this, and they're all using the services of literary consultants to get their work up to scratch. Seems to be helping them.
  • I agree.  Anyone self-publishing has to use an independent editor.