Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Best summer reads

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Best summer reads from The Times Online.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article2004737.ece
  • Anything by Ann Tyler
  • Or Richard Powers.
  • The Venus Fix, by M.J. Rose. Fantastic.
  • Anything by Mich
  • 'Digging to America' by Anne Tyler, just started it but know this author will keep my interest.
  • GLL - she is one of my favourites, loved The Amateur Marriage.
  • Good for a plug, too. Thanks, Barbara.
  • Who is Barbara? And why do we need a plug when doing our summer reading? Perhaps I've missed the point because I'm not a bright spark, whereas Jay is a live wire.
  • Have a look at The Times link, Stan.
  • Agree with Anne Tyler but have to get on with my own stuff.  Hmmm.  I think 2 Caravans next.
  • Come on, Stan. Where are you?
  • I too agree with the Anne Tyler choice.

I read the The Time Travellers Wife ages ago when it first came out and really enjoyed it.
    It was unusual but good.

Jay I can see I need to give your book a go. 
  • Thanks, Soobdoo. I hope you're broad-minded!
  • I like to think so.
  • Only just realised the importance of that Times link to you, Jay :)

Oh, by the way, did I read somwhere that you're off to Croatia?!
  • Oh, surely not!
  • He isn't, is he?!! I thought he was going to Bognor!
  • Well, you know what they say about Bognor!
  • I'm another Anne Tyler fan. I've read every book that she's written. I also like Rosie Thomas, another great writer.  At the moment,I've just finished reading Nella Last's War (as in the play Housewife 49) The book is based on Nella Last's reports to Mass Observation so it's her first hand account of life during WW2. I found it so fascinating that I stayed up all night reading it.