Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Has Anyone Read Eragon?.

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I've just finished reading it, and all I can say is Wow!.  The book isn't perfect (there are times it jars and Paolini's inexperience shows) but his plot, characters are spot on.  As for the ending - well that blew me away.

Honestly in my twenty six years I haven't read a book that has gripped me this much.  It is the first book that I can imagine reading over and over again.  I've just ordered the DVD from Amazon, but I probably won't get until Wednesday (and I'm away to Stirling Wednesday and Thursday, so I will have to wait until the weekend, sob!).

What has astounded me was that Christopher Paolini wrote this when he was fifteen and his parents published it through their own publishing company when he was seventeen, for it then to be picked up by Knopf and Random House.  It gives me hope that there are still some publishers out there that can still recognise great writing.  Also, it shows there is hope for those who choose the self-publishing route.

I'm off to get stuck into Eldest, I have been told that it is even better than Eragon.

I suspect that we have the new JRR Tolkein or CS Lewis here . . .
  • Not read the book stirling, the film superb
  • Yes, I've read it...It was good but give me Tolkien anyday.
    I highly recomend ANY Robin Jarvis, especially though, The Whitby Witches trilogy.
  • Thanks for that I'm Trying.  I've been reading what the critics said and I was thinking the book was that good, the film can't be that bad.  Really looking forward to seeing it now!.

We'll have to agree to differ Tracy!.  I don't think I've ever read a book where I have cared that much for the Hero, and I am very much in love with Eragon.

I agree that the editor should have helped Paolini out a bit more.  Like I said it jars in places, and I would have liked the tension dragged out a bit more in other places.  Also, he seems to tell a lot instead of showing.  I think the pace was perfect and intelligent not just relying on action (which some people mistake as plot).

What I really liked about it was, Eragon is a hero who doesn't think he is a hero.
  • I loved both books and enjoyed the film. However, they had messed around with the plot quite a bit in the film which irritated me.
  • Hubs bought me it as a surprise present and I loved it so much I pre-ordered Eldest in hardback - Eldest is even better and he's more assured in his writing - I found myself making far fewer comparisons with Lord of the Rings - enjoy!
  • I enjoyed Eragon and the follow up Eldest but was disappointed with the DVD of Eragon. It just didn't seem to do the book justice.
  • I haven't read this although i have picked it up a few times. 

I had the unfortunate experience of watching it in the cinema last December.  Was very bad.  Trying to hard to be the next LoTR. 

Does anyone know if they're making the second one?
  • 10m copies sold, but I bet there's lots of 'show don't tell' and 'archy writing' in it! :-) Helps when your parents are also the publishers of course.

The film was panned beyond belief.
  • I've heard a lot of people saying it's trying to be Lord Of The Rings, but I think the plot (and I mean the novel here) is practically Star Wars.  But I couldn't care less.

I've read a lot of the reviews and no-one has said anything that would make me not watch it.  Most of the criticisms like saying it is 'plodding' is because that is the pace of the book.

My sister is now reading the book and she loves it as much as me.  Now that's some feat (me the bookworm and she has yet to finish a book).

Anyway, when I think about it, most of my favourite films have been panned.

Now, the movie of Eldest.  There seems to be uncertainty.  Eragon took $250,000 at the box office, but the DVD is so popular they are releasing a third edition (for a DVD that only came out in April).  On the other hand Edward Spleerers (I think that's how you spell his name) is being sent to Morroco for training.  So I don't think Fox are in the habit of spending money for a film that isn't likely to be made.  The expected release date is 2009.  I suppose with the 6th Harry Potter movie and the sequel to the Dark Crystal due next year, three fantasy movies might be too much in one year.
  • A sequel to 'The Dark Crystal'?  Oh dear.  Sorry, but Jim Henson died a long time ago, and I can't see anyone else doing the story justice.  The man was a genius. 

The story ended when the shard was returned to the crystal by Jen, and the mystics and skeksis merged, freeing the podlings and healing all rifts.  I think the sequel will be crap, and won't bother watching it.
  • Another Dark Crystal!!?? I adored the film and will be watching the sequal just to see...

Labyrinth too...how fantastic is that film!
  • 'Labyrinth' is my comfort zone - I watched it so many times when I was young that I quickly lost count, and I still love it now (the big kid that I am!).  It's the ultimate fantasy (and David Bowie did look very dishy in that costume... *ahem*).

Anyway, no, I shan't watch the sequel to 'The Dark Crystal' - it would be like making a sequel to 'Blade Runner' - can't be done.  Sorry.
  • Labyrinth, superb
    Have the DVD and CD soundtrack
  • Also a big kid
    Loved The Never Ending Story and Legend
    Also saw The Lion Witch and Wardrobe never read the book though
  • The story they are using was originally developed by Jim Henson back in the eighties with the scriptwriter for the original.  They have got the original voices, Brian Froud is doing the conceptual art again, same scriptwriter and the majority of the puppeteers.  The only person really missing is Frank Oz, who has retired.

Jim Henson's daughter, Lisa, who helped her father develop the original story with her knowledge of mythology is producing.

If anyone is interested wilkipedia have a synopsis at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal
  • Answer to question: no.