Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Parents struggling to read bedtime stories

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• This is a short piece from the BBC web pages.

Many 'struggling' with storytime 

Parents and children benefit from reading together
    Bedtime stories are proving a struggle for many parents who are not confident readers, says a survey from adult learning agency Learndirect.
    More than 10% of the 1,000 parents asked had struggled to understand some words in the stories they had read to their five to 10-year-old children.

Parents said that they made up words they could not read or missed out difficult passages, the survey said.

Even more parents - a third - struggled with their children's maths homework.

Learndirect, which aims to improve the skills of adults, is producing a children's book, which it hopes will help both parents and children.

Skills gap

"When parents read to children they are physically close, giving all their attention to their children and sharing the experience of reading something they both enjoy," says child psychologist Pat Spungin.

"In this age of screen-based leisure, regular reading with young children can establish good long-term reading habits."

The problem of adults without basic literacy skills has been repeatedly highlighted - with employers warning of the damage to economic competitiveness.

A government-commissioned report into skills, published by Lord Leitch, called for a radical overhaul in adult training - and warned that the UK's skill base was lower than many international competitors.

The report said that five million adults lacked functional literacy and more than 17 million had difficulties with numbers.

More than one in six youngsters left school unable to read, write or add up properly, said the report.
  • This obviously doesn't apply to children who have a specific problem such as dyslexia ... but it's mystifying that anyone else could spend 12 years at school and not learn to read properly.

In the 1980s our daughters' primary school asked if any mums with spare time would go in every week to listen to the children who needed more practice at reading. As I'm not that keen on housework (!) I volunteered and went in regularly all the time the girls were at the school. It was fantastic to see children gradually understanding how it all worked!

Anyone remember the books about Roger Red Hat, the boy and the cats (can't remember their names) and the tribes of Dings and Dongs?
  • I remember feeling really proud when I was allowed to choose a book to read on my own in the library (a partitioned corner of the room) whilst my classmates had to read to the teacher.

I also vividly remember the gnawing fear I got whenever we did maths and how I tried to be as still and small as possible so as not to be asked a question and now I wonder if people who can't read felt that same fear. I'm still hopeless at maths but that's nowhere near as debilitating as not being able to read.
  • Whenever anyone mentions children having problems with maths, I remember a little boy in the second year infants about 25 years ago. It was a day when I was helping in the classroom rather than sitting with readers in the corridor.

The children were all doing adding up and they had peg boards to help them. When they had an answer they joined the queue at the teacher's desk where she would give them another sum if they'd got it right or send them back to try again if they hadn't.

As Ben joined the queue, he looked very glum so I asked him what the matter was. He said sadly, "I hate maths." It turned out it was the third time he'd tried to get the right answer for 1+2.

Poor little chap.
  • Now I'm being honest here, I never went beyond CSE Maths. English and history up to A Level, but Maths O level filled me with horror!
    My sons learnt very quickly that if it was anything beyond add, subtract, divide, and percentages etc they should ask their Dad.
  • The BBC  has a campaign called RAW, to help adults improve their reading and writing skills, especially so they can help their kids. They have publicity in libraries, free info/books available, and have a good web page, accessed through putting raw into google.
  • I still don't like Maths, and as long as I can do the basics and use a calculator I wouldn't want to study more maths. It is the nearest I can see torture!
  • Jenny, your posts are so sweet and touched me.  I remember the book "Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat and Johnny Yellow Hat" or something like that.  It got me reading properly after I'd spent a whole year in hospital.  When I got to infants school, everyone had been there a year already and I'd been taught reading by Madge the cleaner at Rush Green Hospital in Romford.

I've been very touched at the library recently.  The kids are all signing up for The Big Wild Read.  They agree to read six books over time and report back on what they thought of them and it's so enjoyable to see their enthusiasm and hear their views.  I've had a few children ask for me to hear their comments on their books because I signed them up to the scheme (or they like mad, wild, granny-like old ladies). 

One (Ted) chose a book about a mum rabbit loving her kids and when I asked him about it, he said he liked that it reminded him of how he loved his baby sister and his mum.  I was almost in tears.
  • TT - That sounds like an ideal combination - you, the children and the books.
  • My children had the variously hatted people in their school readers.  I hated reading those books with them, so very very dull and contrived! I'm sure they don't help inspire reluctant adult readers to turn off the telly.

I've overheard some parents read to their children without enjoyment, which can be quite counterproductive.  Lack of enthusiasm is infectious, and may well get passed down the generations. It's a shame, considering that we have more great children's books to choose from than ever before; there's got to be something for pretty much every interest and taste!
  • When I went to Monkey World the other week, I picked a couple of books to bring to Switzerland and give to Guillaume, who's two and a half.  His mum (OH's sister) wants him to learn English, and I want him to learn about primates.  Perfect combination.  I can't wait to read it to him properly.  I love reading to small children, as it means I can really get into the 'acting' part of it, and I hope my own enthusiasm rubs off.
  • TP, there's no doubt about that.
    I think parents (some) don't actually know how to read with emphasis, fun and enjoyment. For many it's a mind-numbing task because they don't like reading, but feel guilty if they don't, because they will have the teachers at school asking if they do it.
  • Sometimes for a change when I read to the girls, I used to substitute the names of children they knew for the characters in the book.

That made the stories even more interesting!
  • "Parents struggling to read bedtime stories...

in flooded villages, due to the electrical shortages, were forced to contrive stories in their heads. Small children struggling to stay awake... found the pictures in their minds not the pages, and fell to sleep snugly in their beds.
  • Good point.  And round here there are some good schools; the parents act as though reading is a competitive sport, which I don't think is quite the attitude :O)  Just for it to be enjoyable is enough.