Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Surfing the shelfs

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I very rarely buy books from bookshops because charity shops hold many treasures in that department but today I decided I would treat myself to a new book for my holidays. I went to a few bookshops but WhSmith was my final choice. I'm a avid reader of fantasy but I was shocked to find that there does not seem to be a great deal of fantasy books around lately... and the authors are almost always from australia or canada. While this doesn't matter at all I just wonder about the significance of this. Maybe its the surroundings? Anyway I did eventually find a book I would like to read after much deliberation and I am now off to France and hopefully much nicer weather...
  • Hope you have a good time!
  • Have fun.

Do you think fantasy fiction is going through a lull?
  • Have a great time in France and enjoy the book.
  • Someone has to ask - which book did you buy?!!

Hope you have a great holiday.
  • Hi katzkrew, good to see you back - it's been quite awhile! I hope the writing is going well.

Re. fantasy: you might want to check out the threads "Recommended fantasy reads?" in Writers & Readers, and "what do you think?" in Writing Queries. The subject has come up recently in both those threads, and there were some good recommendations.
  • I've noticed in WN that there seems to be more and more internet sites for fantasy. Perhaps that genre is moving away from hard copy.

Have a good time in France. If you're coming to the south, it's VERY hot.
  • Oh shut up.
  • Stirling - was that post intended for my comment about the weather?
  • I think Stirling's jealous!
  • Believe me Jay - we'd love some rain down here. The forest fires are already starting to devastate the countryside, and strong water retrictions are being imposed. A happy medium would be welcome, but I don't know where that can be found now.
  • Hey

At the moment I am in a b&b near Limoges. It was hot for a few days (actually got a little sunburnt) but today we got washed out of the tent and decided it was time to give up on camping for the holiday. After reading Trudi Canavan books I thought I would never read better but Fiona McIntosh Betrayal was really good and spent most of the journey down and everything since reading it. I have now finished it and really glad I treated myself. Personally I think fantasy fiction is going through a lull and that is why I reckon fantasy is quite prominent in the writing magazineś. Thanks amboline for the welcome back... I am currently storming through a fiction fantasy book, its going well so far... I am just waiting for the first hiccup or the dreaded writers block.

x