Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Duty Short Story Winner

edited July 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I just had to post this message ever since I read Sheila Benton's "Taking Care of Father", which won the duty short story comp in the writer's magazine (oh all of three hours ago).

What a fantastic story and such good closure at the end.  I have never had that experience with short stories published in magazine comps before and it was enlightening.

So what I to all who haven't read it...read it!
  • Oh, yes, almost forgot it is in august's edition, which everyone should have by now.  Hopefully.
  • I feel that I should clarify my comments here.  It is the first time that I have felt that I could completely lose myself in a story and not just use it as an analyzing tool for my writing.  Maybe that says more about me that the duty short story.
  • Thanks Robin - I'll make a point of reading it.  It seems to have made an impression on you so must be good.
  • Robin the trick is to read the story/book for enjoyment the first time- don't allow your writers brain to take over analysis mode.
    Then the second time pull it apart, otherwise you will never properly appreciate the story and how the writer achieved those things without the ordinary reader being aware.
    I think we do analyse while we're reading something, but you learn to tuck it to the side for a time until it's needed.
    (Not a criticism of you robin.)
  • Unfortunately my writer's brain is in full flow, not sure I know how to switch it off.  That is partly why I don't read that often at the moment.  That and the fact that as soon as 9I start reading sure enough an idea for another story appears or something for a current story.

So what did you think Betsie?
  • A ggod story but my heart sank when I read it. I'd just posted a story with similar theme for Aug's competition.
  • Don't worry, it just shows great minds think alike.